Ro (part 3)

As they leapt back into Havenfield, Sophie and Keefe headed straight into the house, Sandor trailing behind them. They wanted to see if Grady had gotten any word yet about their request to enter the ogre city.

"Welcome home!" Edaline's voice called out as she came toward them from the kitchen. "How did it go?"

Keefe shrugged. "I got her stuff all packed up. I figured I'd take it to her if—when—we are allowed to go see her. She won't need it at Shores of Solace anymore, I won't be living there again." There was a hard, bitter look on his face as he said that last part. "I guess I need to figure out a more permanent living situation soon, I can't keep living with the gnomes forever. But that doesn't matter right now. Has Grady heard anything yet?"

"Not that I've heard. I'm sure he'll hail you as soon as he knows something. But for now..." Edaline snapped her fingers and a tray of mallowmelt appeared on the small table by the couch. "There's not much I can do to help you right now but I know you love mallowmelt."

"Especially YOUR mallowmelt!!" Keefe exclaimed happily. "And trust me, it helps a lot! Having people around me that care makes a big difference."

Edaline gave Keefe a grateful and affectionate smile before turning to Sophie, who tried to ignore the way Edaline grinned and winked at her before backing out of the room.

But Keefe must have caught the slightly embarrassed shift in Sophie's mood. After stuffing some mallowmelt in his mouth, he looked at Sophie with raised eyebrows.

"It's nothing," Sophie said. "I just have a feeling she wants some "girl talk" soon and that's just...all kinds of awkward."

The atmosphere between the two of them became very charged as they both remembered their very intense kiss from earlier.

Keefe recovered quickly. "What, you don't want to tell her all about how you can't seem to keep your eyes—or your hands—off of me?" He asked mischievously.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "As if," she scoffed. "Maybe you overestimate the effect..." but she lost her train of thought when Keefe, eyes still full of mischief, leaned in VERY close and placed one hand over hers and slowly, lightly trailed his fingers up her arm.

He didn't break eye contact as his hand continued up, across her shoulder, and came to rest on her cheek. He leaned in even closer, bringing his lips nearly to hers before whispering "what was that you were saying about how I overestimate the effect I have on you?"

He had her, and he knew it. There was no hiding the blush coloring her cheeks, the goosebumps along the arm he'd just touched, or the way her breath seemed to catch the moment he came close. Keefe leaned back, smirking at her. "That's what I thought."

He looked very smug, but Sophie could also tell he was elated. " Unless you want Grady to catch you and Mesmer you into harming yourself, you probably shouldn't carry on like that," she retorted, finding her voice at last.

"You're not wrong," Keefe agreed. "But don't worry," he said as he swiftly leaned in to kiss her cheek. "I was just proving a point. I won't do anything to get us into trouble. At least, not that kind of trouble. Grady's starting to warm up to me," he added with a wink. "I won't risk making him mad now." His face turned serious. "Besides, I need to hail Fitz and let him know what's going on with Ro." She nodded as he pulled out his Imparter and called Fitz. It was time to let their friends know what was going on.

Fitz answered cheerfully, chastising Keefe for not coming back to Foxfire yet before Keefe could even get a word in.

"Actually I think I am ready to go back now," Keefe said thoughtfully. "Maybe starting next week. But that's not why I hailed you." Keefe filled Fitz in on Ro's condition.

There was silence for a moment, then Fitz said in a smaller voice, "oh no. Dude, you shouldn't have let me carry on about Foxfire when you have something like this going on. I'm sorry. Let me know if Grady wants my dad to help him convince Dimitar to let you visit. Is there anything I can do?"

Keefe looked over at Sophie. "Do you think you could hail everyone else tonight and let them know? I don't want Sophie to have to tell everyone over and over tomorrow, and I don't think I can handle it either."

"Of course. And keep us posted. And Sophie?"

Keefe angled the Imparter so that Fitz would be able to see both of them. "Yes?" Sophie asked.

"Don't let him do anything stupid, okay?"

Sophie laughed a little. "I'll do my best."

With that, the call was ended. Keefe, lost in thought, continued eating the mallowmelt.

Sophie? Fitz was transmitting to her.

Everything okay? She asked.

Yeah. I don't think he'd do anything stupid, but you know Keefe. He might get impatient and just try to get into Ravagog with or without permission. You're probably the only one who could convince him not to, so keep an eye on him.

Sophie was both amused and touched at Fitz's concern for his friend. It'll be bedtime soon. Maybe I should tell Flori to have the gnomes keep watch tonight.

Fitz seemed amused too. Imprison him in that precious tree of his if you have to.

The way Keefe was watching her, she knew he could tell something was up. She cut off the connection with Fitz and laughed. "Fitz seems to think his crazy best friend might get impatient and be reckless. It's almost like he knows you or something."

Keefe pretended to be offended, batting his eyelashes at her innocently. "Who, me?! When have I ever done anything reckless?" Sophie opened her mouth to speak. "No, don't answer that," Keefe said with a grin. "But no, I promise I won't run off and try to sneak in." He tenderly brought a hand up to stroke her cheek and added "I don't want to mess things up, remember?"

Sophie placed her hand over his and leaned in for a quick kiss. "I remember."

Keefe leaned back into the couch cushions and they finished off the plate of mallowmelt. "Besides," he added thoughtfully. "Trying to sneak in wouldn't work, not when I actually WANT to be seen. I don't want to give them any reason not to let me see her."

"You won't have to," Grady's voice said from the doorway. He looked tired but glad. "It took a while to get in touch with Dimitar directly, but he's granted the two of you permission to visit tomorrow."