Anniversary

Over the next few weeks, Sophie and Keefe spent a lot of time discussing Keefe's options now that he'd graduated from Foxfire. In one regard, he would be eligible to enter the nobility, since he completed his elite levels. But they didn't know how the Council or the rest of the nobility would take it, since he and Sophie were technically a bad match.

"I don't really think that would stop them from offering you a position, though" Sophie told him one night as they lay in bed.

"Probably not, not anymore," he said. "They still put way too much emphasis on the match, but it's not like you were removed from Team Valiant the second you and I got married either. It just sort of stopped being used with you guys being so busy with your elite levels. But they didn't actually remove the title from you or anything."

"I guess that's true," she said. "I'm still considered Lady Sophie."

"Lady Fos-Boss," he reminded her with a smirk.

"And you'll be what exactly? Lord Keefe sounds way too respectable."

"How many times, Foster? How many times do I have to tell you I am Lord Hunkyhair."

Sophie laughed. "Well...what do you want to do?"

"I don't know," Keefe shrugged. "I don't know that I like the idea of being a Regent, or eventually an Emissary. So much of what they do has to be kept quiet, they aren't even supposed to tell their spouses what they're doing. I grew up in a home full of secrets. I want none of that in my home. I won't keep secrets from you. Except fun surprises, like our anniversary plans tomorrow," he added with a smirk. "But Magnate Leto approached me about potentially becoming a Mentor."

"He did?"

"Yes, he hailed me earlier, while you were outside talking with Flori about the garden. I guess one of the Empathy mentors has decided to take another position in the nobility so there's an opening. I told him I'd think about it."

Sophie grinned. "Sir Keefe, Empathy Mentor at Foxfire Academy. Do you think they'll really let you? You did blow up the principal's office once."

"But only once."

"And you have the biggest disciplinary record the school has ever seen."

"Hmmm, I wonder how many pranks a Mentor can get away with," Keefe said thoughtfully.

"Oh dear. Let's change the subject. What is this about anniversary plans tomorrow?"

Keefe smirked. "Not telling. You'll just have to wait and see."

The next morning, Keefe took Sophie to Havenfield. They breakfasted with Grady and Edaline--a treat they rarely enjoyed due to the busyness of school and work. They ended up spending the entire morning with them, enjoying the food and the conversation.

They made starkflower stew, enjoying the delicious recipe, and then poured the rest of it at the roots of the Panakes tree, Sophie whispering her love and gratitude for Calla as they did so.

And then Keefe took Sophie back to the little clearing in the Grove. It had been months since they'd revisited this spot, and it definitely had not lost its magic. Their first kiss, some of their most romantic moments, and his proposal all happened in that clearing.

"Remember when I backed you up against that tree to kiss you and you actually got weak at the knees?" Keefe teased her.

"Of course I do. You knew what you were doing when you kissed me like that."

Keefe just looked at her with wide eyes and responded in an innocent voice, "I can't help it. I've got mad skills."

"You really, really do," Sophie agreed, a very pointed grin on her face as she leaned in to kiss him.