46

I stared out the large windows of the airport, dazed and confused. My flight to New York City had just been canceled because of a storm over the Gulf Coast. What was I going to do now?

I quickly got in the line that was forming at the ticket counter. I had to see Tae that weekend. It had been two months since Paris. Not to mention that Blackpink was in his area.

The ticket agent informed me that every other airline was booked due to the Labor Day weekend holiday. The next available flights were early the next morning at six. That was twelve hours from now. She also revealed that the very first flight was not to New York but to Washington, DC. I frowned, telling her to book it anyway.

"Do you have a seat preference?" she asked. "I see your original ticket was in first class. I'm sorry that's completely full."

I shrugged. "Whatever. I don't care where I sit. I just need to be on that plane."

She confirmed my ticket then I put my attention to transportation from Washington to NY. My phone, not being fully charged, was dying on me. I looked around the gate and found all the would-be passengers also on their phone. My hope was dwindling. Off to talk to a human I went and off to join another line of people.

This ticket agent informed me that all the flights out of Washington to NY were booked so she directed me to a car rental counter. That agent already had a line formed in front of him. Like the sloth in the "Zootopia" movie, it took forever for this worker to deal with each customer. Finally it was my turn.

"We have one car left," he informed me.

I looked around the lobby. Desperate, I decided to stay in line and not try my luck with any other rental companies. "Okay, I'll take it," I said, my mood lightening a little bit.

The agent clicked and clacked on his keyboard. "I see you originally had a first class seat. That makes you eligible for our premium access. Your benefits include-"

"Thanks," I interrupted, feeling the urgency to solidify a reservation. "I don't need to hear about it. Just reserve the car for me."

The middle-aged man turned to his co-worker behind him. "Hey! What's the code for the premium access."

"I dunno." The other guy shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

My agent began to flip through a binder next to him on the counter. With each turn of the plastic-sleeved page, my patience was wearing thin and my blood pressure was growing.

"It's okay. I don't need the premium access. I just need a car," I said, almost raising my voice.

The agent's eyes were still on the binder. Then he had an "aha!" moment. "Found it! It's 1-2-3-0." He turned to his co-worker. "It's 1-2-3-0. I thought it was 1-2-4-0."

Just make the reservation for me!

"But it's 1-2-3-0," he continued.

Just book it!

***

I accepted the airline's offer of a hotel for the night then I was on a plane to Washington DC the next morning. The Blackpink fan happened to be sitting next to me. We politely smiled at each other then I sank into my seat hoping the rest of my journey would be smooth sailing. When she checked her phone, I happened to peek at her screen. What I saw made me straighten up and gasp.

It was a picture of Tae and Jennie on Jeju Island.

I leaned in closer to the girl's phone and my eyes widened. She gave me a side-eye look of annoyance. "Sorry," I told her. I sat back a bit. "Did this picture just come out?"