Sleep? Don't Know Her! - XXII

12th October

Nightmares had never been my friend since I was a kid, but since waking up with a start every night because of nightmares now as a grown woman, they were my worst enemy.

Overall, a lot of the time, sleep was my worst enemy anyways, but ever since the whole Alice calling me a 'whore' incident, I had been getting even less than normal.

And that wasn't much anyways.

So, when I awoke with a start and elbowed Jameson in the face from another nightmare that had been plaguing my dreams, it came as no surprise.

Rapid pants of breath filled my lungs as I tried to regain control of my body from the horrors it had just re-experienced.

I breathed out a sorry as I collapsed back onto the pillows behind me while looking over at the clock on my bedside, reading the time.

"Do you want to talk about it now, or just tell me after therapy?" I heard Jameson ask in the darkness.

"After therapy," I say curtly, it coming off colder than I would've liked.

"Alright. What about the situation with Alice?" He asked again.

"Still think she's a fucking bitch for saying that, and I still don't want to talk to her," I say before finally turning over to look at Jameson, "And before you ask, no I don't plan any getting any more sleep for the rest of tonight."

I see the outline of Jameson's cheeks raising in a small smile before I hear a quiet chuckle let out.

"Goodnight then darling," Jameson says quietly before wrapping his arms around me and letting me lay my head on his chest.

"Goodnight, lovoo," I say quietly before hearing Jameson return the sweet word and then finally sitting in the shattering silence.

{----------}

I sat in therapy the next morning, sipping on my tea before Doctor Matthew started his questioning.

"So, have you and Alice sorted things out yet?" Doctor Matthew says, breaking the silence.

"Nope," I say, popping the 'p'.

"And how has sleep been?" He continues to question.

"Like normal, irregular, disorganised and totally uncomfortable," I say before taking another sip of my tea.

I laugh slightly at my own joke after I stick my tea down before Doctor Matthew continues.

"Fair enough, eh, how's pregnancy been to you so far, Kaitlyn?" Doctor Matthew asks as I let out a scoff that was mixed with a laugh.

"What do you want to know about first? Hormones? Morning sickness? Cravings?" I ask while I readjusted myself in the seat, seeing Doctor Matthew laugh at what I had said.

"Why don't we start with hormones?" Doctor Matthew said and I chuckled before talking.

"Completely out of fucking whack," I say straight up, before taking a sip of my tea again.

"Firstly, language," Doctor Matthew says as I giggle at the prospect of not swearing when talking about what had already happened during my pregnancy, as he continues, "This is a chill zone! I don't like people swearing here, because yes, it may help you get out your emotions, but it helps to keep them controlled by not swearing. Secondly, why did I not expect that?" He says as I laugh at his reasoning.

"Well, they don't exactly help when you're trying to reason with your sister!" I say in a slight bit of annoyance.

"Fair, but from arguments I've had with family, nothing like that has happened, so–" Doctor Matthew tries to say, but I soon cut him off.

"That's because you have two brothers and a sister who's 17!! I say back.

"Okay, that's an even better point than mine," Doctor Matthew says as I look at him with a ' Seriously?' type look on my face.

I then relaxed again, knowing that I had gotten my point across about how annoying the mood swings are.

"So, how's the relationship going?" Doctor Matthew asked.

"Alright. We had a date night last night before I accidentally elbowed him in the eye," I say as I drink some more of my tea.

"Seriously?"

"Yep. Jameson now has a black eye, caused by my own elbow," I say, embarrassed at what I had done, "You can imagine the tears from seeing it early in the morning when I'm half awake and hormonal."

"No, but it doesn't exactly sound brilliant though," Doctor Matthew says.

So we sat there, just talking about what had happened since the last session, Doctor Matthew taking notes along the way.

{----------}

When I got back, I went straight up to my study, knowing I had paperwork to do, but when I walked in, I saw Xander turn around in my chair, a slight smirk on his face while I laughed at the whole affair.

"So, how was therapy?" Xander asks, dragging out the 'o' in the 'So'.

"Alright, can you please get out of my chair?" I ask, replying to Xander's question, but then shooting one straight back at him.

"No. I like it here," Xander replies, but I had a plan in mind.

"So, you want to do my paperwork then, because I would be happy to let you do it," I say, as I pick up my coat that I had set down, and walked over to the door to leave, but Xander quickly stopped me just before I left.

"Kaitlyn stop, I'll get out of the chair!" Xander pleads as I smirk and turn back to him.

"Thank you," I say as I set my stuff down and sit down in my chair.

Xander then sits in the seat opposite my desk as I start my paperwork which was currently taking up half of my desk.

"What is this?" Xander asks through the mountains of paperwork separating us.

"What's what?" I ask back, trying to look over the paperwork in front of me.

"This star thing," Xander says and walks round, holding the puzzle in his hands.

"Aah, okay, I see what you're talking about now," I say as Xander gives me a confused look, "It's called a star puzzle. It's incredibly hard to figure out how to do it, and because I've had it for years, I only figured out how to do it a few days ago," I say as Xander plays around with it in his hands, before eventually setting it back down on the desk.

"Wait, so is that why I could hear you cheering in here a couple of days ago?" Xander asked me and I nodded in response.

"Yep. The puzzle does have a romantic origin though," I say, as Xander's face lights up.

"Ooh, do tell," He says as I giggle, before regaining my composure and telling to story.

"There was this young prince," I start and turn to look at the puzzle laying on my desk as I told the story, "Who wanted to win the heart of the fairest maiden in the land. So, he climbed up to the top of the tallest building and tried to catch a falling star. Luckily he did so but in all his excitement, he dropped the star, and it broke into pieces. Frantically, he tried to rebuild the star, and then they lived happily ever after, and all that romantic crap," I say as Xander admires the puzzle before us both.

"How are you sleeping?" Xander asks me and I sigh, "Why are you sighing?" Xander then asks me.

"Everyone seems to be asking me that today! For your information, I feel like I've never met sleep, and I'm currently running on things that will keep me awake that isn't caffeine," I say as I slouch back into my chair.

"Why not caffeine?" Xander enquires as I pick up my pen again.

"Could harm the foetus. You can tell by the sarcasm that no caffeine isn't helping," I say before opening up the file with the paperwork in it as Xander leaves the room so I can do my paperwork.

UPDATED; 21/05/2023

WORDS; 1272