The Controversy Of Christmas Movie Marathons - XXXI

13th December

"I'm telling you, 'Love Actually' is a Christmas film," Alice insisted to me as we set up the blanket fort in the main lounge where the TV was.

"Yeah, but, if you think about it, it's a rom-com, set at Christmas. It's like 'While You Were Sleeping' but I don't hear you complaining when I don't call it a Christmas film," I reply, trying to prove my point.

"Yes, but an ICONIC Christmas song isn't sung in it so-" Alice says, trying to reinforce what she's saying, but I cut her off.

"So you're saying Christmas dinner, and present trading and Family arguing along with Christmas decor is not a Christmas film?" I say, adding a few more cushions.

"Okay, fine," Alice says and I smile at the tone of voice she said it in.

"Now, see, this is why I like blanket forts," I say as we add the final touches to the fort and get inside with our snacks.

"Yeah, I get it. This is definitely one of my favourite Christmas traditions," Alice says as I then get out to get the remote and chuck it in.

"I'll go get the guys in and we can watch the controversial stuff first then get to the Grinch?" I ask and move to walk out the room as Alice replies.

"Alright," She says and I close the door, going to find the guys who were probably terribly baking some food for the movies.

{----------}

When I walked into the kitchen, I heard the smoke alarm go off, making me run towards the oven where both Jameson and Xander were running madly to get what they were baking out of the oven.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" I ask from across the island as they got out of the oven a tray which contained something that was indescribable from how burnt it is.

"Well..." Xander tried to start saying as Jameson took off his oven gloves, sighing at what Xander was saying.

"You put something in the oven, messed up the timer and now the food is burnt?" I ask, a knowing look on my face, "What were you even baking?"

"Chocolate chip cookies and some brownies. Cookies are fine and plated up, brownies though are now burnt to a crisp," Jameson said, turning back around and picking up the tray, then sticking it in the sink.

I look across the island and see the plate of cookies and nab one, intending to eat it so then there was a definite chance of getting one.

"Hey!" Xander scolds me as I nab it, "Those are for all of us!"

"Yeah, well you'll probably eat half of them, so I'm eating what I can get now," I say back at Xander as I see Jameson smile in my peripherals.

Jameson picks up the plate of cookies and starts walking to the door as I do the same, while Xander turns off the oven then jogging to catch up, then taking a cookie from the plate.

"See my point," I say to Jameson, eyebrows raised before I look back at Xander who has a guilty look on his face.

{----------}

Once we did finally get back to the lounge where Alice was sitting in the fort, we got back in the fort, got all the blankets, cushions and snacks sorted before we clicked on and started playing 'While You Were Sleeping'.

"Why are we starting on this again?" Xander asks us while the opening shots play.

"To prove the undecided question of the century; is 'Love Actually' a Christmas film?" Jameson says.

Before I convinced Alice about my point of it not being one, but a rom-com set at Christmas, it was an even split, with Mum not saying whether she believed it was or wasn't.

So we quietened down and let the movie start.

{----------}

A few hours later the film had finished and I stepped outside to go get some fresh air as the room was getting just a tad bit too stuffy.

"How are you doing?" Jameson asks from behind me, making me jump at the sound of his voice, "Sorry," He said when he noticed me flinch.

"It's fine... I'm fine," I say, taking a few deep breaths.

"Are you sure? Because if you need to go puke or something, we can stop the movie marathon and rearrange our own for another date." Jameson says intently.

"Seriously?" I ask.

"Seriously. Look, half the movies we're watching I'm not fussed on anyways. They're too wholesome," Jameson replies as I laugh at what he said.

"Careful where you say that, otherwise Xander might start calling you a Grinch as well," I say smiling.

"Why did he even give you that nickname in the first place?" Jameson asks me.

"Well, it was a build up from every Christmas, but I think what actually made him start was when he thought I binned a bunch of Christmas cookies because they were too 'Christmassy'," I say, laughing at how the story ended up playing out, "It was actually a mix of that and the fact that when I had baked them, I'd added salt instead of sugar."

Jameson laughs at the whole story, not believing the fact that I had done the classic mixing up the salt and sugar, while he burns things half the time.

"Yeah, I can see why now. Easy to misunderstand," Jameson says as he catches his breath from laughing.

"Yeah, well, when you say enough that you don't like the sappiness of Christmas films and then chuck out Christmas cookies, you're going to be questioned heavily," I say as we start to walk back towards the lounge.

"Do you want to go excuse ourselves and then go and do some baking," Jameson asks me as we walk.

"Yeah, show Xander up by not burning food while we're at it," I say and we both laugh as we go to excuse ourselves for maybe a bit more of a productive afternoon.

UPLOADED; 07/08/2023

WORDS; 965