My Sister! Really? - XXVIII

17th November

Today was when the torrential late autumn/winter weather truly set in with the downpour of rain that I woke up to this morning.

It rattled through the castle, through the halls, floors and windows, and to say it was unnerving was an understatement.

It was freaky on all levels if you were in the wrong place.

And the ballroom was one of those places that was the freakiest of freaks in the thunderous rain.

Which, in my opinion, with the lower light levels and horrible weather, is a terribly built room.

In the time I had spent in there, trying desperately to do some sort of work for setting up a dinner tomorrow with all the governors and nobles and things like that, preparing them for the coronation on my birthday, I had jumped a numerous amount of times.

Eventually, I did give up, figuring that going to go and have lunch would be better than being scared out of my wits in the echoey room.

{----------}

When I arrived in the small dining room, I saw Mum and Jameson sitting down, and I made my way to sit beside Jameson as Mum smiled at me.

"How are you?" Mum asked me, making me look over at her.

"I'm doing okay, eh, thank you for asking," I say as I look around the table, wondering why the presence of my best friend and sister were not there, "Hey, do either of you know why Xander and Alice aren't here yet?" I then ask.

Jameson sticks an arm around my shoulders before replying, "No, we don't, or at least I'm speaking for myself here. We both presumed that they would be with you in the ballroom."

"Kaitlyn, now that you do say it," Mum says, a confused look on her face, "I haven't seen either Alice or Xander since breakfast this morning."

"Should we maybe go look for them?" I ask and we all begin to get up, but not for long as the doors to the room burst open with a very dishevelled, but strangely dry, Alice and Xander.

"Sorry we're late!" They both say in a hurry, taking their seats opposite Jameson and I, leaving Mum at the head of the table with a suspicious look on all our faces.

I look over at Jameson who gives me a look of hilarity from the way they both looked, and for the first time in the last few minutes, I properly had a look at both of them.

On both parts, their hair and clothes were a mess, clothes looking ill-fitting and hair seemingly being pushed further up than down, meanwhile for Alice, her makeup was slightly smudged as she tried to sit there, acting like everything was normal.

And I think I know why.

So, I contained the idea to myself until I had finished lunch so I could drag both Xander and Alice away separately to interrogate them about their activities this morning.

{----------}

As I dropped my cutlery on my plate, I looked up at the table seeing that everybody was either close to, or had done the same, so I thought that now would be an appropriate time to at least drag Xander away, who had at least finished his lunch.

"Would you all please be able to excuse Xander and I for a second, as I need to talk to him in private," I say and leave the silence to slowly look at Xander and see him implode from the inside out by the look on his face of 'oh-shit-is-she-going-to-kill-me?' and I try to contain my laughter while I hear Mum say a small 'you are excused and I stand up, Xander does the same and we exit the room to the hallway just outside.