Journal.txt(3)

I have finally reached Watrine.

Only 12% remains of my full charge, so I will have to charge myself pretty soon. Unfortunatly, I do not know how to make use of my portable batteries, so I am going to need a safe place to figure it out. This town is very small; and since the people from the aeroplane are here, it will not be easy to find somewhere to hide.

On the way here I could see that Watrine is the only town in the near, and it consists of a gas station, a few cabins, a supermarket with a big parking lot, a school, a restaurant, a museum and two hotels; one being larger and having more windows than the otherone whose name is spelled wrong on its sign as "HOSTEL". If I rent a room at a hotel I will temporarily be left alone, which is exactly what I need. I look around both of the hotels, and notice that there are way more vehicles parked outside the bigger hotel, with the bus from the runway among them. I decide to hide in "HOSTEL" instead. The way there is also a lot shorter, which is another benefit. I step through the entrence, but I cannot see any reception anywhere. Everything notable in here is a grumpy man, who is sitting by a table and listening to slow music. He is wearing a grey T-shirt, and suspenders over his shoulders. He is balding, and he has this hopeless, tired face.

- Hello, I would like to rent room here, I tell him. The man does not move out of the spot.

- One night is twenty dolls, he answers. A slight enthusiasm is seen in his eyes when saying this, even though he remains on his chair. I give him a hundred dollar bill, which leaves his eyes wide-open.

- One night, keep the surplus, I tell him. I do not have time for change, since my charge has lowered another seven percent during my walk to the hotel.

- You could have a room at the other joint for these cash... he stutters, and then looks at me. Then what're you doing in my dump? he asks me. He is right, people seem to statistically prefer the other hotel over this one. Before this man gets the time to ask more questions, I give him another four one hundred dollar bills. He pushes the money back to me along with a key.

- Don't worry, I can shut my trap, he says with a certain glee in his voice. I take the key, but leave the four bills on the table. The number 24 is written on the keychain, so I suppose I have Room 24. After looking around the hotel, I find Room 24 in the middle of the upper floor. I put the key in the keyhole and the lock open.

The room is very small, and is furnished with a bed, a desk, an empty wardrobe and a rug. The room is not as fancy as Sir's mansion, though it is slightly cleaner if you ignore the dust. The temperature is the only real problem, as the room is very cold. The radiator in the room must be turned off, if there even is one. I lock the door and open my backpack. I must recharge myself quite soon, because 5% will not get me far. I randomly pick up one of the batteries, but I cannot find any buttons or wires on it. How could I possibly transfer its energy to my body? Should I swallow it? That would make sense, since people devour food for its chemical energy.

I put the battery in my mouth, but it does not fit in my throat and no matter how much I try to get it down it does not work. I am just glad that I do not have any Pain Sensors in my throat, because this would probably have hurt a lot. When I remove the battery from my mouth hole I accidently drop it on my foot, and the pain tempts me to scream. I do not want to wake the hotel owner up, so I tighten my fist and try to hang on. This is very stupid, because now my hands also hurt. I remember what I read in Sir's message, that I was manifactured to be more sensitive than other robots. I am happy for all the other machines' sake that no one feels as strong pain as I do.

My battery is only 4% now, so my circumstances are sure to deteriorate unless I charge myself soon. There must be some way to use this portable battery, through some kind of command perhaps? I try with the most obvious code words; "battery", "charge", "battery-charge", "energy", "protocol: charge", "protocol: battery", "execute: charge", "execute: battery" and so on, but nothing works. Only 3% remain now.