Journal.txt(29)

The pass looked way shorter from the top. I have been walking for about an hour, and I can see no end of the road ahead of me. I keep thinking about Sam, Eve, Adam and Cee. I witnessed the deaths of Cee, Sam and Eve, but Adam might still be operational just like Eve said. He is probably imprisoned or something like that, it is even possible that they have stopped maintaining him. However, they should not have scraped him, at least I kind of hope so. Then there is 'everyone else'. How am I supposed to find every other AssaultBot? Am I supposed to travel all over the world, knocking every door and asking if they have any AssaultBots at home? Am I supposed to visit every organisation in the world and search their basement? As long as I find the Guys Against Sadism everything is going to work out decently, since that they might have contact with similar organizations all over the world. Regardless of how many alien AssaultBots we are going to save, we will be able to find Adam and free him.

There is actually one place where I know there are several AssaultBots, the factory in Tibet. I must sneak in there and rescue as many as I can, all by myself since I have no clue on how I am supposed to find the Guys Against Sadism. It will be a lot easier than last time now that I can fight from the start. However, I had Sam and Eve to my aid last time, and their help to our self-endorsed operation was undeniable. Though I should focus on my current state at the moment, as the cold road to civilization does not seem to get any shorter no matter how fast I walk.

Suddenly, I spot light in the storm, and I see the shape of a human being. Right then, I think about what a good idea it would be to bring a weapon. What if I have run away from my owner's inanimate body only to be caught and brought to a fate that I truly deserve by judicial means? I look closer, and see that it is the man with woollen clothes. He yells something in his unknown language, but the emphasis makes it sound like a question. He is probably wondering who is intruding his property, but I decide not to answer. I run right past him, through the light of his lantern, as he yells after me. I run in the cold storm without knowing where I am going. It feels a bit startling, but at least I know that the village is close. I am freezing, and my battery level decreases notably every ten seconds.

The storm slowly fades, but I nearly hit a tree on the way down. I must now have reached the forest. I cannot get to the village from here, because there might be someone who is still guarding the area. In case there is a troop patrolling the valley, I reach the town by the nearby hills instead. As I now pass the rail, it feels like the others are still gathered up behind me, like I am leading Sam, Eve and Adam to freedom. The village has not changed much if anything at all. The only change that I notice is that there is only me now.

I only have two percent left, so I hurry to the hostel. The village is quite small, actually, so I do not have to go that far. I get to the hostel's backyard, and rush into the shed. Much to my fortune, I find the shed unlocked, so I go in and search for the cable and the custom charger. I eventually find the charger on a shelf, ready to use and everything, I should really just have followed the wire coming from outside. I now put my hand on the illegal piece of hardware. It works! I am getting charged.

I manage to charge myself for a few hours before the owner of the hostel interrupts me.

- Hey, ask me for permission before you use my stuff will you? he tells me.

- I am truly sorry I used your charger, but I had only two percent and now I am all alone, I answer.

- No need to apologize, but you're gonna have to pay. Hand over a thousand rupees and we're cool, he tells me.

I have no money, so I have no possibility to pay him any money. I do not want to be involved in any conflict, so I better think of something. I remember something I read in that book of laws, stealing electricity is considered theft. The same law is probably applied here as well, since most countries share similar laws. I also remember seeing the wire from the hostel being taped to the powerline supplying the nearby factory with electricity. If I told anyone that the hostel is stealing electricity, they would probably not believe me or even listen to what I had to say. I still think I can scare the hostel owner, if humans are as scared of soldiers as I am.