Journal.txt(26)

I point forward, and then look at Eve. She does not move from the spot. So I pat her shoulder, and then nod. She does not do anything now either. As if it would not bad enough that she is unable to communicate, she cannot comprehend means of communication either. I grab her hand, and lead her back into the lair. Damian, whom ran away, is probably hiding somewhere around here. Now I know that he is afraid of us, because otherwise why would he run off when he had the upper hand? One thing is sure, he is not as tough now as he was back in the mansion.

Once we reach the staircase I realize how difficult it may be to lead Eve down, so I decide to just leave her here and go on my own. I push her down on the terrace, in a corner near the staircase. I then continue down the stairs all by myself. I try to hurry in order not to fall, even if that makes me a bit noisier. If I fall through these stairs, I will not be able to get back to Eve, or out of this place. When I have come halfway, I hear footsteps. I crouch down as fast as I can and try to see who it is. I cannot see anyone at the bottom floor, but when I dare to look upwards I am startled by a human face. Fortunately, it belongs to Eve. She must have thought that I should not walk alone, and I appreciate her way of thinking. I would really love to wait for Eve, but I do really not want put too much pressure on the plank I am standing on. Though I try to slow down a bit to give her a chance to catch up. When I am five steps from the bottom, Eve has gotten really close. Eve slips a little all of sudden, and falls forward. I grab her as soon as I can, but when I do, I fall backwards and almost break my neck. When I try to rise myself along with Eve, she begins to struggle and kick her legs around. I consider telling her to calm down, but then I remember that she can no longer understand me. Instead, I let her get up by herself. It works, though it takes a while.

We sneak through the walls and shelves of the dark maze. Suddenly, Damian appears at a junction. I start to screaming out of the shock, and Damian starts screaming as well. He runs away, we are headed for the opposite side. We are forced to take a detour, but it should hopefully be safe. We do not know the way to or from the balcony, since we have only jumped from it. However, Eve seems to understand where we are going, because she is currently on the lookout for a way there. She finds something interesting after five minutes, and brings me to an elevator basket. It appears very worn-down, and everything but safe. I decide to walk up the stairs next to the elevator, and either Eve shares my opinion or she is just following me. We soon reach a room without anything else than three metallic boards. These must be the boards that Eve, Sam and I were bound to when we woke up here. Damian has put up a tent and a sleeping bag in a corner. For some reason, I kick his tent down. But why? How does it help me? Maybe he will have to put it back up again, and then we will have more time to get out of here.

Anyhow, we should hurry as much as we can, since Damian might have the courage to shoot us next time we see him. I step out on the balcony, with Eve close behind me. All the instruments of torture are still here, and so is Sam, thankfully. To be honest, I was a little worried that Damian might have hidden Sam, but this would mean Damian would somehow be able to anticipate our plan and hence his own failure. He does probably not know where we are, so he is still wandering about the maze and fearing for his life.

Sam lies on the floor with his eyes wide open, and stares into the thin air. It looks quite horrible, so I use my fingers to close his eyes. Eve squeezes his neck, but nothing happens. He is truly completely broken, so we are justified to tear him apart to take the communication system which we need. Okay... Eve was shot in the left side of her head, where the communication system broke. I touch Sam's scalp carefully to sense where the communication system is. However, us AssaultBots have a skull of metal or hard plastic which protects all the hardware. I look around on the shelf with the instruments of torture, and find a small yet quite sharp knife. Maybe it will be enough to cut Sam's head open? I return to my friend's inanimate body, but then Eve stops me. Spontaneously, it could seem like she does not understand what we are doing here, but maybe she is just afraid that I will destroy the communication system? She takes the knife, and cuts some skin off. She then throws it away, and begins to slowly cut the metal-coloured plastic. The material of the knife is not as hard as the skull however, so the knife is eventually rendered useless. I try with another, bigger knife that feels way heavier. I give it to Eve, whom cuts out a line on Sam's head.