Journal.txt(23)

- Have you found anything? I ask Eve.

- Lots of chores, and dances... she explains.

- I was mainly, actually only, referring to fighting programs.

- Not a single one, she says, and soon notices my disappointed face while I head for the window.

- I could take another look, she offers.

- Did you look through everything? I ask her.

- Yes, but I might have missed something. The Deviation Constant suggests a probability of more than ten percent that I have, Eve explains in attempt to comfort me while I look out the window. The building is indeed surrounded entirely, by a quantity of soldiers so great that I cannot even calculate.

- Thanks to my human brain cells, I might be able to teach myself how to handle weapons if I just got rid of the movement lock, I explain to Eve, whom understands me surprisingly well.

- How about Sam? she asks me.

- He should be able to learn if we gave him exact instructions. How about you? I ask Eve.

- I think I could learn, she tells me, and nods slowly.

Just then, Sam rushes into the room, with a whole new shot on his body.

- Sam, how are you? Eve asks him.

- Don't worry about me, they know we're in here now, he explains to us.

- This room is a dead end, they got us now, I mention instantaneously. Eve, however, begins to scan the room, until her eyes stop at the ventilation.

- The ventilation! she cries, and tries to remove the louver. The valve itself seems very narrow, and I doubt any of us would fit through it. However, it is worth a try since the guards and the soldiers will storm the room just any second now. I then remember an ability that I have underrated, but still made slight use of. Though the movement lock prevents me from fighting and using weapons, I am still able to throw things. There are plenty of loose objects in the room since Eve searched it. Fiscs, sheets of paper and cylinder-shaped hard drives as well as cartridges are all over the floor. Programs that may be used by Sam, Eve and me.

I grab a few cartridges, the thickest ones that are hence quite heavy. I have to abandon two of them in order to be able to stand up again.

"EMPTY THE DISHWASHER", "FEED THE DOG", "WORLD DANCES", "HAVE YOUR ASSAULTBOT SING AND GROOVE TO THE TOP 20 90'S HITS" are a few titles I come over.

None of these programs come in the cylinder format, but in these square hard drives that are heavy and difficult to grab. As I decide to take a closer look on one of the programs, I see how my left arm begins glow purple.

My mechanical hard drive feels more in use than it did a few seconds ago. My consciousness is blurring. Wait, it stopped now. I now look at the program, which is the "EMPTY THE DISHWASHER" one. I find the year 2023 beneath the title, so this program must be from 2023.

- PD, what are you doing? Sam asks me.

- Program 'empty the dishwasher' successfully installed, I respond without any control of it. Sam looks at me confused, almost a bit frightened.

- We need to learn how to fight, not to empty some dishwasher, he explains.

- I know. I was just taking a closer look, and suddenly the program was inside me, I explain to Sam, or just excuse myself.

- These old programs were said to be uncoordinated and unstable, so PunchINC recalled all the copies and gave out newer versions in return, Sam explains.