Journal.txt(20)

The room is dark, but I can feel how someone help me off the platform, and then I can hear someone, probably the same person, release Sam and then Eve. The human shadow then leads us outside, to the corridor outside that is still faintly illuminated at this time of day. Now I can see a soldier ahead of us. I am about to scream, when this soldier hushes me down. He then pulls something out of his jacket. Sam and Eve takes cover from the wall, but I am actually curious about the item.

It is a black cylinder with lights at one of its corners. It appears to be a hard drive. He hands it over to Sam, whom stares at it.

- Who are you? Eve asks him. He then seems to think for a while, before answering:

- Machine rights. Eve and I look at each other, and then at the soldier.

- Are you from the B-U-T-T? I ask him.

- No, I am from G-A-S, which sort of could be seen as a Central Asian counterpart, he then explains.

- That is close enough, do you know how to get out of here? I ask him.

- Don't worry, we've thought of everything.

- Who are 'we'? Eve asks the soldier.

- G-A-S, Guys Against Sadism, the soldier explains to her, before explaining that he is not the only member. He then finally goes on with explaining the plan:

We are going to break out of the military base, and then we will meet up with a car that will drive us to safety. The soldier then introduces himself as Dema.

- Are you sure we will not bump into any guards? I ask Dema.

- No guards, we have cameras instead, he explains.

- Will escaping unseen not be near impossible if there are cameras everywhere? Eve asks.

- They're not everywhere, there's only one camera per corridor, Dema explains to us. If we avoid the part of the corridor that is surveilled, which is possible in theory, we could get out undetected.

The whole plan sounds quite difficult, but of course it could work, as long as there are lots of parallel corridors that are all connected to one another. It is probably not a good idea to trust someone who serves the same authority that we are actually escaping from, but we have nothing to lose since that they already have us. Besides, it would be unnecessary to pretend to help us since we would be unable to do anything without the help from Dema.

Dema leads us through the dark corridor, and through a room with three coffee machines and a grey refrigerator.

- They don't have a camera here, Dema tells us, perhaps to hint that we are walking too close to him.

We sneak through another corridor, as we spot a camera. There is no other way to the main corridor nearby, so we return to the first corridor. Now, we turn to a route that seems to be without camera instead. I am glad they have cameras here, and not ultrasonic sensors like the ones Damian had.

- So you know where all the cameras are? Eve asks Dema as we sneak forth.

- A few of them. But as you can see, they aren't really hidden, he says, and points forward.

- This way should take us out in an instant, but would be impossible to sneak through it, Dema explains, and shows us a corridor with two sphere-shaped objects with lenses quite similar to the ones on the flat cameras put in all the other corridors. Eve then looks at Dema's rifle.

- No, not a chance, he says when he notices where Eve is looking.

- It is our only chance, Eve tells him, and then he points his rifle at one of the cameras. The rest of us crine for two loud noises, and see two flashing shapes burst out from the barrel.