Night of the Hunters

Selene's POV
Another wonderful day here on Dragon's Edge. Everything was nice and quiet, only because everyone was still asleep. I was walking towards the stable and saw all the dragons still sleeping, but no Stormfly. "She and Astrid went for a morning flight," a familiar purr echoed. I looked to my left and saw Crystal sitting there. "I should've known," I smiled and walked over to her. "Wanna go for a fly?" Crystal asked while smiling. "Like you even need to ask," I chuckled and we shot out of the stable and into the sky. We flew around for a few hours, and I felt like something was wrong. "I'm getting a bad feeling about something, you?" I asked my sister and she nodded her head. We flew down into a chasm and Crystal picked up a familiar scent. "Stormfly and Astrid were here," she commented. "Can you follow their trail?" I asked her and she nodded her head and and the scent trail lead us to a beach. "Why would they come here?" I wondered aloud as Crystal landed. I got off her and walked around and noticed multiple marks in the sand. I started to walk over, but Crystal roared in worry. "What is it?" I asked her as she ran over to me. "Astrid and Stormfly were here, but so where others," Crystal informed me. She started sniffing the ground, and growled. "What are you picking up?" I asked her. "Just get on," she roared and I did as she ordered. As soon as I was on the saddle, Crystal shot off like a typhoon. "What is wrong?!" I shouted. "I didn't like the smell of those marks in the sand. They smelled like those cages on the Reaper," Crystal informed me. Once she said that, that sinking feeling returned. "Oh, no! We need to find Astrid and Stormfly. If you're saying what I think you're saying, Stormfly is in real danger." Crystal followed the scent out to the sea, but it was gone in a flash due to a coming thunderstorm.

Crystal flew around for what felt like hours, until I spotted a familiar blonde. "Astrid!" I shouted and Crystal dived down. Astrid slipped off the log she was holding onto, and started to sink. I quickly jumped off Crystal and dove after her. Once I hit the water, I immediately started kicking my legs, and moving my arms, desperate to reach my friend. Once I was close enough, I grabbed her and started to swim back up to the surface. Crystal met me halfway and swam under Astrid's unconscious body and my own, and flew up back into the sky. "Astrid, Astrid!!" I shouted in worry. Her eyes opened, but barely. "About time," she muttered, then fell unconscious again. "Thank dragons," I mumbled and hugged her tightly. I then looked around for Stormfly, but there was no sign of her anywhere. And that's when I remembered the Dragon Hunters. "The hunters have Stormfly," I mumbled. "Let's get Astrid back to Dragon's Edge. We're gonna need all the help we can get to take on those hunters," Crystal was right. I nodded my head and she shot back towards Dragon's Edge. Along the way though, we came across the other riders. "Where have you been all day?! And why is Astrid unconscious?" Hiccup asked me with worry. "Not the time, love. We need to get back to Dragon's Edge," I spoke calmly and we all flew back. Once we arrived, Crystal flew towards the infirmary and helped me put Astrid on a bed there. "What happened out there?" Fishlegs asked me as he and the other riders walked in. "Not totally sure. But, Crystal picked up Dragon Hunter smells." Right after those words left my mouth, everyone gasped. "Dragon hunters?" Hiccup asked me and I nodded my head while getting a rag for Astrid. "I know we all have questions, but right now, we need to focus on Astrid," I told the others. We all sat around the unconscious warrior for hours, when she shot up. "Stormfly!" She shouted with worry.

We all sat up and I walked over to her. "Hey, it's ok. You're back at Dragon's Edge." I tried to reassure the girl. She then started muttering about the cages and how they had Stormfly. "Hey," I got the girl's attention. "Do the Dragon Hunter's have Stormfly?" I asked. her. Astrid's eyes widened, but she quickly nodded her head in confirmation. "Yeah, this big, ugly one..." Astrid started then trailed off, going back to her 'when I get my hands on him I'll kill him' spree. "And, welcome back," Fishlegs muttered. "Come on! Let's mount up!" Astrid told us as she swung her legs over to the edge of the bed. She, turned around to us though, knowing she didn't have a dragon to ride. "Don't worry. You'll ride with me," I told her with a smile. Astrid returned that smile and we were now at the beach where the Dragon hunters were. Astrid spoke out how there had to be a clue. "How many cages were there?" Hiccup asked the girl. "Remember all the cages on the Reaper?" She asked us and we nodded our heads. "Double it," and there was the bad news. "Just great," I mumbled. The twins walked over telling us they didn't have anything, then Snotlout screamed. I walked over and saw something in his boot. "Hold still," I muttered and pulled a green arrow tip out. "What is this?" I asked but as soon as the scent hit my nose, I cringed. "A dragon hunter arrow. One of these hit Stormfly right before she was caught. I've never seen her so out of control before," Astrid informed us. Fishlegs took it from me. He sniffed it, and licked it. I gagged at the second motion. "This is refined dragon root. I've heard that at high concentrations, it can overwhelm a dragon's senses completely, making it almost impossible for them to fly," Fishlegs told us. "That's what happened to Stormfly," Astrid gasped. "Think of it. Just one quiver of these arrows could decimate an entire flock of dragons," Fishlegs stated the badness of the arrow. I sighed, when I heard Crystal roar. I got up and ran over to her. "What is it?" I asked her and she started digging for something in the sand. It was a chest. I yanked it out of the sand and opened the chest. "What's in it?" I heard Snotlout ask and it was just some rolled up parchment. I grabbed it and unfurled it.