𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃

𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐢𝐚𝐝𝐚 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐢𝐚𝐝𝐚 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫. She kept rethinking the scenarios, attempting to come up with ways that she could've saved Janson. However, sometimes there's quite literally nothing you can do. Giada spent many nights staring up at the ceiling, knowing she'd never be able to snuggle up in his warm embrace again. Heath and Violet were very supportive throughout the whole ordeal, but they were grieving their losses too. Neither of them talked to Giada about what fully happened that night, seeing as they'd only seen her holding Janson's limp body in her arms. Giada wasn't sure if she'd ever be ready to tell anyone else who happened.

When she stuck that damned knife into what was left of Janson's heart, it was like Giada killed a part of herself too. She knew it's sick and twisted, like why would she even bother loving a man like that? Giada wondered about it every single day for the rest of her life. A small part of her did believe that if she'd figured out what was wrong with Janson earlier, maybe she could've saved him. At least for their daughter's sake.

She'd never told him, but based on the way Janson was so fucking overprotective of her those last couple of days, Giada liked to think he already knew. Or suspected it at the very least. She didn't know how the man would've reacted even if she had told him, so she kept it to herself. Giada was unsure how the hell she was supposed to raise an infant on her own, and the feelings of uncertainty grew more immensely the more their daughter began kicking around in her stomach.

However, when Giada saw her little girl for the first time, all of her feelings of doubt vanished in the breeze. She was the most precious human being she ever had the chance to lay her eyes onto, and Giada knew there was nothing in the world she wouldn't do for her child. She ended up naming their daughter, Delilah, because that's the name Janson had suggested to her at some point. The woman usually called her "Lilah" though, which was her nickname.

Most people knew that Janson was Lilah's father. Especially if you knew what the older man looked like; you could see the resemblance clear as day. Their daughter had inherited Janson's messy black hair and his sapphire eyes while she'd gotten her lips and nose from Giada. While she missed Janson with everything in her heart, she wouldn't have traded their little girl for anything in the world.

A small part of her was glad she tried to go back for him that night because at least she wouldn't live the rest of her life in uncertainty. Giada knew for a fact that Janson was truly dead, there's no doubt about that. The auburn haired woman did wish he could've met Lilah, because Giada knew Janson would've outright adored her; despite everything. While he didn't exactly deserve a daughter, she did deserve to have a father. Maybe if circumstances had been different, Janson actually would've been an excellent father. Just not in this life she supposed.

Giada, Heath, and Violet watched closely as Lilah and Naomi grew up together. The couple ended up having two more children; who were twin boys named Andre and Kieran. It was such a relief that all of their children were practically best friends. They were insufferable, never going anywhere without one another. There were other children in the community that they'd joined, but the four of them always chose each other to hangout with. The little girl enjoyed messing up her hair, walking around like it wasn't a big deal. Naomi frequently told Lilah that she was quite the wild child, not that the little girl would disagree.

She was so much like Janson in multiple ways that it made Giada's heart hurt. Especially the time when Lilah beat the crap out of another boy for shoving Naomi, screaming not to touch her. And then when the boy tried to retaliate towards Lilah for hitting him, Andre and Kieran leapt in, shutting that shit down quickly.

Janson and Giada's daughter recently turned eight years old, and she already had found various ways to get herself into mischief. Lilah stood beside her mother on a chair as they both gazed out at the world in front of them. While the new place they occupied wasn't nearly as beautiful as The Last City, it kept them all alive. Everyone was immune, and there were no cranks inside of the walls threatening to kill them all.

The wind tore itself through Lilah's long black hair, making it even messier than it already was. Still, she looked at her mother with a huge smile on her face as she went into great detail about how her day at school went. Yes, they'd come up with an efficient education system that actually worked; nothing similar to what WCKD did. Giada glanced at her daughter with nothing but pure love in her eyes. She never imagined herself actually being a mother, but now that she was one; Giada would never be able to turn her back on it. She was especially excited to see the young woman that Lilah would grow into. Once again, just like Janson, Lilah had developed an interest in marksmanship, so Giada taught her everything she knew that she'd learned from the little girl's father. She'd also given Lilah the jacket Giada stole from Janson all those years ago and it took everything for the little girl to take it off. Lilah never went anywhere without that damned gun and jacket.

Giada didn't know if she would ever tell Lilah the truth about what happened to her father. So far, she hadn't asked, but she could tell that her daughter wanted to. Lilah just didn't know how, and that was okay. Giada figured she wouldn't worry about what she'd tell her until the time came. She kissed Lilah on the top of her head softly, causing the little girl to let out a giggle as Giada squeezed her shoulders reassuringly. The auburn haired woman knew that with time, everything would truly be okay. And it was. Who knows, maybe Giada would see Janson again in another life and they could continue what they started. Until then, she decided to watch over their daughter and guide her to have the best life humanly possible.