Chapter 1

There must have been a time when everything made sense. Maybe once, before God had a hand in anything; when existence was just an embryonic fleck in the incomprehensible vastness of reality. Our reality; because there are several, overlaying one another like sheets of paper splayed on a conference table. Of course this is a gross simplification of how it actually is. There literally are no words in the human language to explain the intricacies of how reality is composed. It is both there and not; it is everything each individual thinks it is. Characters from works of fiction have life; they breathe, they eat, they fuck, they dream. Those dream-entities exist, in their own worlds, their own reality, and their dreams are real, too. Fun house mirrors, reflections spanning on and on, never ending, all representing reflective images of the same origin:

God.

Once again, this is a shit poor excuse for an explanation. It's more than smoke and mirrors. It's more than papers on a desk, their corners overlapping. It's a parasitic vine creeping up a tree, winding its way up the bark, choking out the trees existence until the vine and the tree become one; the tree tries to stop the choke hold of the vine, and starts to grow its own bark around it; this happens for centuries, until the thing is no longer a tree, but it's also no longer a vine, but a hybrid of the two that are unable to be extracted from one another.

The beauty of the entire thing is that if you were to pan out from this amalgamation of tree-vine, you would see they were both in a forest, and that the vine was part of a vast network that sat over the ground, lacing its tendrils intimately with all of the trees. Even that falls short in describing the biome of existence, because then you have to take into consideration the sky, and beyond that the stars, and beyond that nothingness there is something, because there is Always Something.

And that is what animal brains can't comprehend, what they were never meant to comprehend. Just by there being a concept of Nothing, it exists. Nothing is Something, and you cannot have Something without Nothing, and vice versa. Humans have slowly begun to make sense of it all, with their discovering dark matter and antimatter. Yet even that is barely an idea, like someone catching a whiff of a certain food as they drive past a row of fast food chains, but can't discern exactly what it is they're smelling.

I honestly don't think that humans will ever gain a full understanding. Their brains were never intended to. It's all there, in that squishy gross collection of neurons and synapses, bundles of nerve-endings and sloshes of water. And, since I'm being honest, I'm shocked that humans have evolved as far as they have. Human bodies are really such a patchwork of existence, like a child sloping together what they think is a snowman in a puddle of mud. Really, that's pretty close to what it is. I'm surprised their bodies work at all. They're so inefficient too! Having to expel waste, birth and monthly cycles being excruciating for woman, and don't even get me started on how fragile they are, with their squishy bits, and diseases, and cancers...There's a lot to be updated, that's for sure.

But at the same time, they've managed so far. Plus, I'm getting ahead of myself. Human brains have the capacity for this knowledge, they just haven't unlocked it yet. Once again they've stumbled across the tip of their iceberg; scientists and the medical communities have come to realize that humans only use about 20% of their brains. What they don't know is that it's actually about 5%; their spiritual lives, whether they choose to believe it or not, whether they believe in One God or Many, takes up a portion of their brain power. And as for the rest?

There's the knowledge of Existence, of Something and Nothing. There are colors on the spectrum that animal brains weren't made to process. There are sounds all around on different wavelengths that would reduce a person to babbling tears at the sheer undiluted beauty of the rapturing sounds of it. There are particles to be tasted and smelled, things like the smell right before it rains; there's more smells like that, indescribably comforting, but also much too overwhelming.