Chapter 35

"I can't believe I'm here even entertaining this idea," Gabriel proclaimed.

I ignored him. It took months, but Auriel and I were back in perfect health. As such, I had summoned the elite archangels for a meeting. We were in one of the courthouses, the safest place in all of Heaven.

It was during this time period I started wearing my military uniform exclusively. As such, I adjusted the black cufflink on my sleeve and then picked off a now-pristine down feather from my sleeve I then looked at everyone in attendance and smiled.

"Are you all going to listen to me or just bitch over the fact that I have summoned you? If it's the latter you can just leave."

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't prepared to listen," Metatron replied.

I had requested Metatron's presence—his actual presence. God had decided that the library wasn't impenetrable even with Metatron at His side, so there wasn't a point in having him stationed there. If anything, Metatron was angry that he wasn't there in his full capacity; he was nearly certain had he been Auriel would not have been overtaken.

"So what is this I hear about you wanting to attack Hell or something?" Gabriel said, sounding annoyed.

I looked at him sharply. "Who told you that?"

Gabriel swung his head to Mikha'el. My jaw dropped open.

"Mikha'el! You ass!"

"We're all busy, Sera," Mikha'el replied. "A vague, 'Sera wishes to speak with you' wasn't going to cut it."

"But I wanted to be the one who told everyone!"

Raphael sighed heavily and looked at the ceiling. "May we please just further the conversation now? We are, in fact, rather busy."

I glared at Mikha'el a moment more and then looked at Metatron. "Metatron—how did the demons gain access into the library without detection?"

"All those details have been drawn out in my official report."

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "I am aware, I read it at least a hundred times. Stop thinking like an angel."

He looked baffled. So, I sighed and began to pace about the room.

"Per your report, you didn't realize that demons had infiltrated until the attack was under way, correct?"

"Yes."

"And how is that?"

"Sera, really—"

"Just humor me, will you, Metatron?"

"I suppose." He sighed and rubbed his face a few times before looking at me. "The demons had possessed two angels. I was not in the mindset of screening angels for possession. It was a foolish oversight. I suppose I have grown—comfortable."

Auriel patted his brother's hand and gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Even if you had grown complacent, I feel comfortable saying with utmost confidence had a possessed angel entered into the library, you would have been able to feel its presence, correct?"

Metatron looked off to the side. "Technically, yes—it was a grave oversight on my part."

"Perhaps not."

Metatron looked unconvinced. I turned to Auriel then.

"Something you said while you were possessed made me think; when were you possessed?"

Auriel blinked, and shifted uncomfortably. "I am unsure, as I also said in my report."

"Yes yes—but was there ever a point where you realized it?"