Chapter 15

"She wants to be your friend?" 

"That's what she said."

Auriel gave a derisive laugh. He shook his head, looking back down at his scrolls. "Don't tell Raguel that. He might stab you." 

I was leaning against Auriel's desk, waiting for Mikha'el. Not sure if Auriel meant what he said literally, I decided to play it safe and not mention anything Raguel, should I ever see him again. 

I hoped not. 

"Ulcinin," Mikha'el said from behind me. 

I turned around, and Auriel picked up his head. Mikha'el was billowing towards us. The scowl on his face and the taughtness of his gate made it apparent he was in a bad mood. 

"Uh-oh," Auriel said quietly, dropping his head back to his scrolls. 

I craned my neck once more to look up at Auriel. "Uh-oh?" 

"He's in a foul mood." 

"Well I can see that—" 

Mikha'el snapped his fingers at me, not even bothering to slow down or wait for me. I outright gaped at him. "Now." 

I rushed after him. Looking helplessly over my shoulder, I saw Auriel looking after us. 

Good luck

Auriel's voice in my head surprised me so much I tripped. 

Mikha'el glared at me. "What's wrong with you?" 

"What's wrong with you?" 

Mikha'el rounded on me immediately. The words had slipped out before I had even meant them to. I was petrified when his eyes flashed and glowed. Bracing myself for another scary encounter in which he showed his true Heavenly body (or perhaps even death), I was surprised when it never came. Instead my friend seemed to deflate. His eyes returned to their normal form, and his shoulders slumped. He looked tired—very tired. 

"How did it go with Indrajala?" he asked wearily, like his heart wasn't in it at all and this was just a formality. 

"What's wrong?" I asked gently this time. 

Mikha'el stopped walking. He opened his mouth but then shut it. He waved me off. "Nothing that concerns you." 

When he started walking again, I gently tugged his shoulder, imploring him to stop. He looked at me. The sadness in his eyes alarmed me. 

"It does concern me," I said seriously. "You are my guardian, my teacher, my ward—you are my best friend." 

Mikha'el looked touched. In fact, I panicked internally when it looked like he might cry. 

"Your well-being is most certainly my concern, Mikha'el." 

His wings drooped. He gave me a rueful smile. "Thank you, Ulcinin." 

I nodded and gave him what I hoped was an assuring smile. Mikha'el turned around then and began to walk. "Lets go." 

I didn't move for a second. Then I rushed after him. "Go? But what about my studies?" 

"They can be postponed; for now, anyway." 

This was highly irregular. As we passed Auriel, I caught him giving us a furtive look, but remained silent. When we reached the doors and Mikha'el pushed against it to open, we were both surprised when it didn't budge. 

"What?" Mikha'el asked. 

He pushed again. Nothing. Growling in frustration, he pushed again. When it still didn't budge he growled, throwing all of his weight against it again and again. I was afraid when the eyes of Metatron appeared, glaring down at Mikha'el.