Chapter 13

One by one each of the angels took their leave. Gabriel was first, followed by Raphael. They left in a very mortal way, walking to their residence and biding everyone else a good night.

It should not have surprised me, but Raguel parted ways on anything but a pleasant note.

"Might I see your book?" he asked me rather innocently.

I hesitated, my palm itching. I didn't want to give it to him. I wasn't entirely sure why, but I really, really did not want to give it to him. For the entire time I held it in my possession, the only one who I allowed to see it was Mikha'el. But that was because I trusted him explicitly.

I argued with myself. A archangel, a fucking seraphim, was asking to see it. A celestial being created by God himself. Forgiven, evidently, by God. If I couldn't trust one of the seven heavenly leaders of Heaven, who could I?

Steeling myself, I reached into my satchel and pulled out my book. Carefully and slowly I held it out to him. Raguel took it, looked at it for the briefest moment, and then laughed at me bitterly.

"You fool!" he spat. "Have you learned nothing from your teachings?! Metatron does not lend his books out freely. More so, Metatron does not let anyone leave with one of his books, much less for an extended period of time!"

Roughly Raguel shoved the book into my chest and glared. "Do not trust anyone, anyone, Ulcinin! Not with something as important as this! Have you forgotten there are shape shifters?"

My anger rose within me. "That's preposterous—I've been with you the entire day—"

"What's ridiculous is for you to trust me to be whom I claim to be just because Mikha'el said so!"

"He wouldn't lie to me!" I snapped, raising my voice.

"You're an ignorant fool, nothing more than a child! I don't know what makes you so special," he snarled at me, looming over me to the point where Mikha'el felt the need to intervene, slotting his body between us, "but I swear to God and everything that is Holy, Ulcinin, if you mistreat this book—"

"That's enough, Raguel," Mikha'el said.

"—or let it fall into the wrong hands—"

"Raguel, I said that's enough."

"—you will understand the true meaning of my duty, and I shall reign judgment upon you swiftly and unmercifully!"

"ENOUGH!" Mikha'el roared.

Raguel shoved me away from him. I clutched the book protectively to my chest, hoping my seething hatred came through the glare I leveled at him. Auriel was at his side in a moment, and he quickly ushered Raguel into his home. When Auriel was done he came out, slamming the wooden door behind himself.

"I'm sorry," Auriel said to me, walking quickly away from the abode and looking beyond pissed. "That maniac doesn't know when to leave well enough alone."

"Do not call our brother a maniac."

"Well he is!"

Mikha'el crossed his arms.

"He is."

Mikha'el raised his eyebrow.

"He is," Auriel simpered a final time, though it was quiet and sounded unsure.

"Come, we will walk you to Metatron."

The three of us walked in silence for a bit. Then I became curious.

"Auriel; do you live in Metatron?"

"Yes. There is a loft on the uppermost floor which holds a room." He shrugged. "It is meager, but it is all I need."