Chapter 20

"Reality is ours to manipulate. Rather, manipulation is too harsh of a word. Think of our relationship like that of a loom. God is the loom itself, the taught fibers are reality, and we are the threads which weave in and out of existence."

I was bored. So very, very bored. Mikha'el's teachings for at least thirty days after I had awakened my celestial power were as such. A lot of poetic drivel that didn't amount to much. Waxing poetic about Being. About how things Work. Blah blah blah blah.

I stifled a yawn. Suddenly, Mikha'el was before me, and he slammed both hands on my desk. Startled, I jerked fully upright in my chair. Mikha'el's right hand closed slowly, and with it he crimped some parchment I had been taking notes on. I glanced at the parchment, and then looked frightfully back into his crystal clear eyes.

"Am I boring you?" he seethed.

"I-"

I wanted to say no.

"I-"

Mikha'el dug his nails into my desk with a horrible scratching sound. I felt my eyes pop.

"Yes?" I was unable to keep myself from squeaking.

Mikha'el sighed heavily, released my (now ruined) parchment, and covered his face with one hand. He moaned and shook his head, tendrils of sun-kissed curls poking through his fingers.

"I'm sorry," I moaned in exasperated frustration, "It's just there's so much talking, and not much doing -"

"Fine." Mikha'el grabbed me by the collar and hoisted me to my feet. "You want the doing?"

I was bewildered when we were suddenly in a field. I hadn't the faintest clue where we were. We certainly weren't in Heaven. How exactly I knew that, I didn't know. But I knew, just like you come to know the intimate details of your lover's body. However, instead of being learned, this was just an innate feeling.

Mikha'el released me and took a step back.

I looked around. The sky was blue, clouds high overhead. The sun was out, yet it wasn't hot; there was a strange dampness that clung to the air, making it feel much colder than it actually was. Beneath our feet was lush green grass, a greenery that immediately reminded me of emeralds.

To say it was breathtakingly beautiful would be a vile understatement.

"Where are we?" I breathed so quietly the wind nearly stole my words.

"The Surface. Hibernia, to be exact."

I blinked. Mikha'el rose his right hand, fingers pressed together. "You wanted doing? I'll see you in Heaven."

He snapped and disappeared. My mouth dropped open immediately. I spun around.

"Mikha'el?"

For as far as the eye could see, there was nothing more than the grass and blue sky.

"Mikha'el?!" I cried out again, the beginning tendrils of panic starting to ensnare me.

I felt he wasn't in my vicinity. This wasn't some joke; he really had left me, in the middle of nowhere, on The Surface. When that heavy weight of reality hit me I fully panicked.

How could he do this? I hadn't been on The Surface since I was living. Was this some joke? Would he come back and look for me if I never made it back? How long would that take? Minutes? Hours? A day? A week? Longer?

As all these thoughts of abandonment ran through my head, I spun around and around, screaming out his name. He never answered though, never let his presence be known. I screamed myself raw, screamed until my voice cracked and there was little sound left.