Chapter 21

I had been thrown backwards toward the open cellar. I looked over, and nearly burst into tears right then and there. 

Cowering in a corner was an angel. She was filthy and completely naked. Black hair—uncut, stringy from excessive oil—hung over her sallow face. Her eyes appeared freakishly large against her gaunt features, sunken in deeply. They were dark and shimmered in absolute terror. 

Her wings were in a terrible state. Dirty, matted, many of her feathers clearly plucked out. In her arms she cradled another angel. I couldn't see him, not only covered by his own, untouched wings in fright, but also partially covered by what was left of Malael's wings. 

All at once I noticed something horrifying. They had attached a piece of metal over her mouth so she couldn't speak. They had hammered in on, and the edges looked deeply infected. 

I looked back for what could have caused the shockwave that knocked everyone down. A woman with raven black hair, bright purple eyes, and huge, six black wings, stood there. She wore ornate armor, wicked looking. It had been painted purple, every edge and seam pointed so sharp they looked like claws. The entire piece was rimmed with red. In her gauntleted hands, which were fierce and made the same way, she held her helmet. It reminded me immediately of the one I wore as a gladiator, only hers was purple with a long black plume sprouting from the top. 

Her eyes locked onto me immediately. "Ah. You must be Ulcinin." 

Without warning she charged at me. She was quick, just as quick as angels. In literally a blink she was before me, sword raised to slaughter me. I cowered and crossed my arms over my head. 

The blow never came, though. 

Confused, I peeked out. I then let out a cry of shock and stood to my full height. 

Raguel stood in front of me. Through his back, coming out the center of his wings, was a sword dripping in blood. I immediately burst into tears. 

Raguel dropped his sword. In a flash, his wings turned pure white. 

"You…bitch."

Raguel dropped to his knees. 

I don't remember anything after that. The only thing I remember is hearing a strange sound. It was loud, painful. Something was screaming. It was a peculiar sound, cross between a crowing bird and a dolphin all at once. It was multi-layered, bringing to mind a ripple in a pool of water. Yes—it was a wave of sound, not dissimilar to the sonic boom that had knocked everyone down. 

Besides that? 

Nothing. 

~

When I regained consciousness, the first thing I felt was a stabbing, near unbearable pain in the center of my forehead. I moaned loudly, praying for death. Instead, two fingers pressed against my head. A cooling sensation washed over me, and the pain was miraculously gone. I opened my eyes slowly, bracing myself for light. 

There was light; it was very dim, though. I propped myself up on my elbow and looked around. I was in my room, on my bed. Torches illuminated the room. It had to have been very late, for the street was empty. 

"I'm happy you are awake." 

I turned my head right. Mikha'el sat in a wooden chair. His legs were sprawled out, shoulders slumped, chin against his chest so I only saw the crown of his head. His wings were limp, drooping. His elbows rested against his thighs, forearms and hands hanging between his legs. 

I had never seen him in that state. I was alarmed immediately. "Mikha'el?" 

He didn't say anything. Didn't even lift his head. The more I looked at him, the more I noticed what a mess he was. His hair, dirty, filled with what looked like soot. One arm sported a cut just below the shoulder, dried blood visible. His wings were flecked with ichor and blood.