Chapter 10.

There was a heavy silence. Finally my brain was unable to stand it any longer. I hated the fear in my voice, hated how weak I sounded.

"I'm sorry-Destroyer?"

"There are a multitude of realities," Auriel replied, for the first time speaking gently. I'd go so far as to say his voice was tender. "All are kept separate from one another."

"Realities?" I asked at a complete befuddled loss.

"Redundancies, really," Mikha'el spoke next.

"Ripples," Raphael said.

"Ripples?" Raguel snorted.

Raphael looked at him, completely unphased. "Yes, ripples. I think that is an apt description for the fabric of the multiple realities."

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," Raphael said.

"Meaning," Mikha'el said, "there are multiple outcomes of someone doing something, and there are multiple outcomes of those outcomes."

"Example," Auriel said. "There is a reality where you moved differently so that your life was spared in that final gladiator battle."

I blinked.

"There are realities where you were slain during your next fight. There are realities where you died earlier." Auriel waved his hand, with a slight roll of his eyes. "So on and so forth."

"There are realities where you don't even exist, were never born," Raguel said in icy tones, narrowing his eyes.

"There are realities where you don't exist," Gabriel growled, and I nearly laughed.

Raguel glared. "Correct, Gabe. And there are some where you don't, either."

Mikha'el cleared his throat loudly. "Let us move past discussing realities we sometimes wish were our own."

I nearly laughed once more.

"What we are trying to impart upon you, dear Ulcinin," Mikha'el continued, "is that there are realities where angels don't exist, where things are slightly different; where Lucifer is female instead of male. Where you might have, I don't know, blue hair or something."

I blinked.

"All these realities, all these various options, they are all kept separate from the others."

"Unbreakable wards, spells, and sigils are erected to ensure they remain untangled," Auriel said seriously.

"There are also realms within our own reality that are likewise protected," Raphael said.

"Yes yes, but let us not jump ahead," said Mikha'el.

"Agreed," Auriel interjected. He then turned his full attention back to me. "As you can imagine, reality is set up precariously. Any and all actions within one reality has the potential to affect numerous realities."

"Ripples," Raphael said with a small smile.

"It is for that very reason that it is largely unheard of that anything can enter different realities, much less function within them," Auriel continued.

"With the exception of a select few."

The chamber fell absolutely silent. I didn't want to be presumptuous, but at the same time, it was the only conclusion I could reach. Pressing a hand to my chest, I made sure there was no one behind me, nor anyone besides these archangels in the room. I turned back to them and spoke tentatively.

"Me?"

Mikha'el nodded once. I couldn't help it-my wings gave a convulsive twitch. It drew a chuckle from Raguel.