Chapter 14

"Good morning, Ulcinin!"

I stopped walking. Auriel was in his usual position in front of Metatron.

I was still practically half-asleep. Mikha'el had allowed me to sleep in, and it had to have been mid-afternoon already. I was still reeling from the previous day, brain overloaded with everything I learned, everything I had seen, everyone I had met. My head felt like a burlap sack overstuffed with hay. My eyes were raw and red, and I had to breathe through my mouth, having wept myself to sleep.

As such, I was not prepared for such a warm and enthusiastic greeting from Auriel.

"Huh?"

Auriel smiled. "I said, good morning, Ulcinin. Although, it is not really morning, but you appear to have just awoken, so."

I blinked. Slowly the fog began to thaw, and I smiled. "Oh. Er, good morning, Auriel."

"Mikha'el is already awaiting your arrival. Don't worry–he is not upset with your late arrival."

I nodded and started to walk further into the library. "Thank you, Auriel."

"Of course. Let me know if you need anything!"

I smirked and shook my head as I made my way back to the seated area. When I found Mikha'el, I didn't even attempt to conceal my displeasure; Mihka'el sat at a table, a huge mound of books piled up. I moaned loudly, not looking forward to the day's lessons.

"Sleep well?" Mikha'el asked, bemused, as I slumped into the chair across from him.

I grunted and glared at him.

"Today," Mikha'el said, ignoring my disposition, "you are going to learn about Jesus Christ, son of God."

"Do I have to meet him?" I asked, grabbing at a random book.

"Eventually."

"Good. I don't think I have the capacity to meet anyone today."

To my alarm Mikha'el got to his feet. I looked up at him, hating the broad grin on his face. He plucked the book out of my hands, put it down, and said, "Metatron–conceal."

"Wha–what? Why did–"

Mikha'el came around and lifted me to my feet, hand around my bicep.

"--what are you–where are we going?"

"To meet Jesus."

"No. No no no no no," I protested, trying to pull backward, but Mikha'el simply pulled me harder.

"Leaving so soon?" Auriel asked as Mikha'el dragged me past.

"Auriel! Tell Mikha'el–"

Auriel cut me off with a laugh. "Tell Mikha'el? Dear boy, I cannot tell Mikha'el anything."

"Auriel! Help me!"

Auriel merely laughed and shook his head, looking back down at his scrolls.

Once we were outside and down the steps, I yanked my arm out of his grasp and glared.

"Your training does not just include studying and making you sound of body," Mikha'el explained, leading the way. "There are going to be times that you don't want to do things. There will be times where you think you are too tired to carry on. But you must. Especially in your position; you must learn to be strong, even when you think you cannot."

"Might I intrude?" a pleasant, female voice spoke behind us.

I was shocked when Mikha'el turned around and immediately fell to one knee. I was equally shocked when he grabbed my hand and roughly yanked me to the ground. Nearly toppling over, I went on my knees painfully, but then drew one up to kneel as he was.