Chapter 26

"Going to sulk for the rest of your days?"

The Greecian wind tussled my strangely-cut hair. With it came the smell of the sea. Stretched before me was the ocean, glittering and black against the backdrop of the stars and full moon. Behind me sat Corinth. My legs dangled from the roof of some abode, and I had been kicking them back and forth.

"Yes."

Auriel sat besides me with a chuckle. He wiped off his hands, looking out at the sea.

"This is relaxing."

I glared, annoyed. "What do you want, Auriel?"

"I haven't seen you in weeks—not for lack for trying, of course."

I ground my teeth before replying. "Yes Auriel—usually when people don't want to be found, they go places that are unexpected."

Auriel hummed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him swivel his head to face me. "Yes, I suppose. I guess it is a bit embarrassing I hadn't thought you would come to The Surface sooner."

I looked at him and glared. "Don't you have something your attention demands in Metatron?"

"No."

"The hour is late—shouldn't you retire for the night?"

"No."

"Don't you need to lick the bottom of Mikha'el's boot?"

"No. Certainly not that, no."

I sighed, frustrated.

"Seraphin," he told me, resting his hand upon my own. I was admittedly surprised when he called me my name. "I am not the enemy here."

I looked away.

"Sera—no one is your enemy. Least of all Mikha'el."

I snorted loudly and crossed my arms.

"Fine," Auriel said, his voice taking a harder edge, "let us go this route. You are a newly appointed Seraphim and you have not shown up for one of your duties yet."

"If it were truly an issue, Mikha'el would have dragged me back by my ear already," I rebuked. I knew I was right.

Auriel laughed. "Goodness, you really are an infuriating twat, aren't you?"

"Of course you would recognize one of your own kind," I retorted moodily.

Auriel laughed again and removed his hand off my own. He then shifted his body flush with mine, drawing his full attention to me. "Sera, truthfully; what can I do to help you?"

"Why are you doing this?" I asked quietly, bitterly, hoping he hadn't noticed the tears which had suddenly sprung to my eyes.

"Because you are my friend."

I looked at him. He laughed once more. "What? Do not look so surprised, Ulci—sorry, Sera. You are my friend." Then, more quietly, "I only hope you feel likewise."

"Did I fuck up?" I asked in desperation, bursting into tears. "Have I made a mistake?"

Auriel's face twisted into alarm, lips parting slightly. Once the shock wore off, he answered. "Yes."

"Is there anything I can do? I know the naming ceremony is permanent, but, but—is there nothing I can do?"

Auriel cupped my face in his hands. "Seraphin—calm yourself."

"I am sorry. I haven't wept in all the time I've been gone. I guess I can't keep it in any longer." I have a deep, shuddering breath, and my face crumpled. "Does Mikha'el hate me?"