Chapter 18

"Please don't be upset anymore." 

Days had passed. Currently it was night, Mikha'el and I sitting in our usual spot in the tavern. It was unusually busy, everyone laughing and talking. 

I hadn't said a word yet, and we had been drinking for a while. 

I glared at Mikha'el. "He won't even look at me, Mikha'el." 

"I know, but—" 

"There is no 'but'," I snapped, days of frustration and guilt finally rolling off me. "I walk into Metatron and he doesn't greet me. He doesn't even raise his head! I once walked in with another angel and he greeted them. He acted like I wasn't even there." 

Mikha'el frowned deeply at me. I took another gulp of meade. 

"He was traumatized, Ulcinin," my ward told me softly. "He cares about you an awful lot. It's the only reason he agreed to help me in the first place. He was worried something would go wrong, and he wanted to help you gain your powers." 

"Tsch." I looked away. 

Mikha'el sighed. "I have a question for you." 

I raised my eyebrow, signaling him to continue. 

"I'm unsure what to do. God wants to renovate the Eternal Springs, and has requested a specific set of designers spearhead the project. This is a conundrum, for they have been tasked with creating a new biome in a specific section of the Great Rainforest on The Surface. He made the Springs project top priority—but He also stated that this new biome is crucial for the advancement of humanity."

I blinked, the abrupt subject shift catching me off guard. "Oh. Er, I don't know?" 

Mikha'el didn't reply, simply took a sip and stared me down. 

"Um," I continued, rubbing the back of my neck. "Well…why do the Eternal Springs need attention?" 

"Maintenance." 

I cut off the growl in my throat before it left my lips. "Alright…what are the Eternal Springs?" 

"There are several on The Surface, spiritual rivers that grant life. However, in the Holy Realms, it's a spring that gathers and floats down, providing sustenance for the earth. Without it, The Surface would begin to wither and die." 

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Well, that sounds extremely important. What is wrong with it? Is it clogged? What does the job entail?" 

"Esthetic in nature." 

I paused. Then I flat out laughed. "There is nothing wrong or damaged with it?" 

"Correct." 

I laughed again. "Then put that at the bottom of the list!" 

"Except He is doing the renovation as a favor to Sakra, Lord of the Devas—a tribute to him." Mikha'el waved a hand. "There are certain friendships that must be obtained and nurtured for things to run smoothly in the cosmos. Sakra doesn't like how the Springs look. So, since it resides in our Heaven, he asked God to change it." 

I paused. Then I raised an eyebrow and spoke flatly. "Certainly you jest?" 

"If this were not serious I wouldn't be seeking your counsel, now would I, Ulcinin?" 

I let out a groan and raked both hands down my face. Mikha'el snorted into his cup, eyebrows raised. 

"Did you voice your concerns to God?" 

"Of course." 

"And?" 

"He told me to figure it out, that I was capable of such things."