Chapter 5.

Little did I know then that this small, quaint tavern Mikha'el brought me to would be a staple in my long life. We were the only patrons, and I couldn't help wondering if that was by Mikha'el's design. 

"Good morning Mikha'el," an angel greeted, appearing suddenly. She turned to me and smiled. "And who might you be?" 

"Ulcinin," I replied, letting my new name roll off my tongue. I expected it to be weird. It wasn't weird. It was natural, and I immediately settled into it. 

"Welcome, Ulcinin. It's a pleasure to meet you." 

"Likewise," I said, ghosting the first smile on my lips in hours. 

"What might I service you with?" she asked, turning her attention back to Mikha'el. 

"Wine, please. For both of us. And some grapes and bread for my friend here." 

She waved her hand, two golden goblets appearing on the small table at our feet. Bowing her head, she then disappeared in a flutter of wings. 

"Drink," Mikha'el urged, crossing one leg over his knee. "You are no longer my pupil for the day. Please, let us talk. Ask me anything." 

The warmth radiating from him brought me peace. Suddenly he slipped back into someone I adored instead of feared. So, taking the invite at face value, I picked up my goblet and drank. It was, of course, the best wine to have ever passed through my lips. 

"Tell me about guardian angels," I said. When Mikha'el raised an eyebrow, I curtly added, "Please." 

"What would you like to know?" Mikha'el asked, picking up his own wine and leaning back in his chair, getting comfortable. 

"Anything. Everything." 

A pause, and then, "I love your inquisitive mind." 

The fondness of his voice made my wings twitch. 

"I understand why God chose you." 

That got a flutter. Mikha'el chuckled into his goblet at my wings flitting. 

"When an angel is gifted a ward," he explained to me smoothly with fondness leaking from his words, causing my wings to twitch more, "an immediate bond is formed. It's not just on the angel's end; our wards know it, too. Not on any level they can comprehend, but it's there." 

Mikha'el put down his cup and leaned to me, elbows on his knees, fingertips splayed against each other. He cocked his head to the side. 

"Have you ever had the overwhelming feeling of homesickness, but the catch is, you are already home?" 

I thought. Thinking about my mortal life was like trying to swim through molasses. Mikha'el waited patiently as I muddled through my thoughts. Finally I found what I was looking for, tugging it out of the muck of my mind. 

"Yes, actually."

Mikha'el nodded once. "That was me. Unintentional, and I apologize, I know how strange and downright upsetting that feeling can be."

"It certainly created an abundance of disquiet in me," I admitted slowly, and then firmly stuck that memory down deep into the molasses. 

"Yes, and I know the yearning made you sad." 

I nodded, least I open my mouth and become emotional. 

"Once again, apologies all around. It was your human coil trying to make sense of my presence. It's partially the reason guardian angels remain behind the veil, so to speak, with their human counterparts."