Chapter 25

"Have you picked a name?" 

Mikha'el stood before me, currently fusing over my uniform collar. It was sweet and yet annoying all at once. He had done the same with my hair ("I don't understand why you wear it like this, it looks like you are too lazy to take care of it. You should be proud of your eyes instead of hiding them behind your hair, they really are quite beautiful."), my shoes ("Have you never heard of a buffer? Goodness. I mean technically you could just will them to look better!"), and even my breath ("I know angels cannot get smelly breath, but you're a mortal angel—have you any peppermint leaves just in case? Perhaps I should summon Raphae—" "You will not summon him on my behalf, Mikha'el! My breath is fine!"). 

I literally couldn't go through becoming a Seraphim without a name. So, I rolled me eyes. 

"Yes, Mikha'el, for the thousandth time I have my name picked out." 

Mikha'el brushed some invisible dust from my shoulder that probably didn't even exist in the first place with a sniff. "I just want to make sure you look good before God." 

"Are you worried about me, or you?" 

I had meant it as a joke. Mikha'el, however, had immediately flushed and looked away. I took both his hands and smiled. 

"Mikha'el—I said that in jest." 

Mikha'el looked at the ground and said barely above a whisper, "I just don't understand why you haven't told me your name. I thought we were close." 

My wings slumped. "Mikha'el—we are close. I love and adore you." 

"Then why the secrecy?" he snorted reproachfully. "Especially since we are all going to find out in a mere matter of minutes." 

I frowned. "You wouldn't approve of the name I have picked." 

Mikha'el gave me an incredulous look. "Ulcinin…"

I smiled sweetly. Now he looked worried. 

"Ulcinin…"

I laughed before I could stop myself. "What?" 

"What are you up to? The only rule is you cannot declare yourself Seraphim as a name."

"I'm not going to!" I giggled. 

"Ulcinin…"

Grinning, I held both his shoulders and looked up into his face. "Would you please just relax Mikha'el? Everything is going to be fine. As you said, this is a joyous occasion, no?" 

The trumpets blared loudly. That was our cue. He gave me a final side-long look of apprehension before we both stepped out from behind the blue velvet tent that had been erected to the right of God's throne. 

The experience was…overwhelming. I had only been in close proximity to the full presence of God once before. I barely remembered that. So now, coming out to thunderous applause, angelic cheering, and the sheer love, and grace, and beauty pouring out from the vaguely humanoid shape that was glowing as bright as a star, and just as large, well…I was fighting not to cry. 

The ceremony would be brief. Brief or not, it made me nervous that we had shut down the entirety of Heaven. I was still antsy about Heaven being invaded once more. If anything else, I never wanted to be infected with demon's blood ever again. However, this Naming Ceremony was God's Will. I wasn't about to argue with that. 

Standing to God's left was his son, Jesus Christ.

By that point I had met him a handful of times. When I approached the raised throne, he turned to me. Pressing both hands to his mouth he extended his arms, sending me a kiss, and then bowed.