Chapter 43

The first order of business was to put a stop to the Christmas madness. It hurt me to do so. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were my favorite days in Heaven. I know it was a lot of angels'. But living through a war because we were all distracted?

No. Uh-uh. Not in my watch.

Now Christmas celebrations are cut in half, with one group celebrating on Christmas Eve and the other Christmas proper. To make it fair, the two groups switch days every year. I also have ensured that the Gates are heavily guarded and warded in the days leading up to and several days after (the 7th of January, to be precise). Furthermore, no area of import is left unattended, having at least one archangel on hand (it's officially two, but there was an instance where an angel was molting, so one of the scrying pools was left partially unattended. It, luckily, was not an issue).

Following my first official decree, I then set out to help with reconstruction. It was already well underway, and many places were already intact upon my arrival. However, I reorganized the work efforts because up until I stepped in, everything was happening with no rhyme or reason. As such, several areas hadn't even been touched yet, while others had been abandoned and were half-finished.

I decided to tie in maintenance updates into the reconstruction. Why touch something twice, correct? It took Metatron and I awhile to find the location of the work orders (guarded by a rather grumpy fairy who was utterly uncooperative at first. I had insulted her right off the bat by declaring I didn't even know fairies were in Heaven). That was the beginning of my house quickly turning into an office, which then quickly turned into the untidy mess it is today. As things sprang up, I would lug whatever scrolls and books I needed, and was too busy to put them back.

"Too busy" isn't even the right phrase. I wouldn't seem so busy if I was saved from constant interruptions. It got to a point where I ended up screaming at a innocent angel-page, who promptly burst into tears and flew away scared for his life.

After that I set up a queue ticket system for seeing me.

Also after that, most people left me alone because they feared my wrath.

When reconstruction efforts were well underway, I quietly slipped away for a few more days. Everyone seemed content with my recent presence for they left me alone. The only two that came calling were Malael and Zera, and that was to be expected.

As such, the first day of my retreat I headed toward the Hindu section. I lit the incense and recited the sacred prayers. Indrajala appeared in the mirror, and smiled.

"I bring you good tidings, my dearest Sera."

I hesitated for just a moment. "May I come through? I wish to speak to you."

"But of course," she said, and I immediately found myself in her pleasant grotto of green. However, the moment I had my footing from the abrupt location change, she looked at me seriously. "I know what you have come for, and my answer is no."

I hated her for a second. Of course she would know my thoughts and desires.

"But—"

"My answer is no. Do not make me become angry."

"How did you know I would come to you?"

She paused. "Because you have come to me with this request before."

She pressed her two fingers to my forehead. All at once I remembered; I remembered the naming ceremony. I remembered asking her to reverse time so I could avoid the argument with Mikha'el, because I couldn't stand the thought of him not speaking to me.

Well, now he really wasn't speaking to me.

"Why?" I snapped like a child, feeling tears well up in my eyes. "You've done it once before for me!"

"Yes, and I also told you to choose wisely, that there might come a day you wanted to bend time for a more urgent matter."

Stubbornly I withheld my tears. "So then go back to that day, make it so—"

She was shaking her head. "I cannot."

"What do you mean, you cannot?" I snapped, my voice strained as I tried not to shout. "You're Indrajala! You can do anything you please!"

"Not this."

"Why?" I finally shouted.

"There is a large difference between repairing a friendship and repairing a death."

"I don't care!"

"I know you do not care," she replied calmly, "but I do. Mikha'el was a powerful entity in a religious sect that is not my own. Firstly, it is not my place to meddle in a different religion. Secondly, I don't know the consequences of the universe should I change such a crucial member of the great order in the universe. Truthfully I fear the repercussion—as should you. "

I clenched my hands into fists. "And?"

"While I am able to perform this task for you, I will not, out of the utmost respect for my friend, Father Time."

"I hate you!" I bellowed at her.

Tears filled her eyes. They were tears of sympathy. "You do not."

"Angels can't lie!"

"I know. But I also know your hatred of the fact you feel stuck and hopeless is being directed to me, because I am the closest thing you can lay your hate upon."

The first tears coarsed down my cheeks. She stepped forward and cupped my face in her hands. She looked into my eyes earnestly.

"Dearest Sera, I would do this thing for you but I cannot. Even had you never asked it previously, I would not be compelled enough to so blatantly disregard the natural order of things. I am sorry. Please, truly. I am so sorry."

I sank down onto my knees in the plush green grass. She held me as I cried. I felt like I had lost Mikha'el all over again. The door to that avenue, that dim distant hope that there was still something I could do, had shut completely and was sealed.

Mikha'el was gone forever.