Chapter 8.

I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going. The following day I was to meet Mikha’el in Metatron as always. It had become normalcy that I arrived before he did; I was instructed on the days when this happened, I was to begin my studies immediately. This particular day, however, was different. Mikha’el was never more than a quarter of an hour late, tops. So, once three quarters of an hour passed and he still didn’t arrive, I got up and walked to the front of Metatron.

“Hello Ulcinin,” Auriel greeted me as I approached his desk, not even bothering to look at me.

“Auriel. Have you seen–”

“Mikha’el? I have not; he has not arrived yet.”

I paused, then asked hesitantly, “Do you know where he is?”

Auriel paused in his writing. Besides that, he didn’t change his demeanor. “I do not. His whereabouts are also none of my concern.”

“Thanks for the help,” I snorted with a roll of my eyes. I turned my back and began to walk away.

I heard the tip of the quill Auriel wrote with break and snap. I stopped walking, happy Auriel couldn’t see the look of fear on my face. 

“How are your studies going, Ulcinin?” he asked me through clenched teeth.

I paused and then smirked. “Do my teachings fall under your concern, Auriel?”

When he didn’t answer, I continued on my way. However, instead of going back to my table, I decided to move deeper into Metatron. Truthfully it was barely even a conscious effort. It was as though something were calling me; like my feet suddenly had their own willpower and were pulling me down the aisle. No, actually it was as though I was tied by an invisible rope and was being led to where I belonged.

I honestly held no other explanation for why, twenty minutes later, I found myself staring up at one of the bookshelves buried deep within the heart of Metatron. Nestled amongst the bindings of browns and blacks sat a singular light blue spine. I could barely see it, truthfully. I had to crane my neck all the way back and stand off to the left side. I had zero idea what had brought me here, nor what that book even was; I had to read it, though.

Mouth becoming parched in want, I looked around. Yes, I could have just flapped my wings and gotten up there. Somehow I doubted that would have worked. As such, I decided to try something. I held out my had toward what I wanted.

“Book.”

Nothing happened. I tried again.

“Book.”

Still nothing. Starting to become angry, I narrowed my eyes. “Book!”

To my astonishment and fear, a large pair of black eyes formed in the shelving. They glared down at me. It was horrifying, the shelves and books themselves shifting and formed the lines of the displeased eyes. I took a step back. Though it were just eyes, I could tell if it were an entire face it would have been frowning deeply at me.

After a few moments, and I realized I wasn’t in immediate danger, I shuffled forward once more. A thought bounced over my brain, and I scrutinized the eyes.

“Metatron?”

The eyes blinked. They still looked displeased, but it was definitely a gesture of acknowledgement. I shifted uneasily.

“Oh. Hello.”

The eyes went right back to glaring. I swallowed thickly. 

“Might I have that book?”

The large eyes narrowed.

“Please?”

Glaring.

“Er, that book right there?” I pointed.