Chapter 24

My time to prove that I was anything but a lost puppy came a few years into me being an angel. Up until then I bided my time, waiting for an opportunity to prove my worth. In the meantime I spent my time buried in the book Metatron had gifted me, or spending time watching first hand how things happened on earth. I once spent an entire week just watching a buffalo decompose. It was gross but fascinating all at once. 

Christmas in Heaven was my favorite time of year in Heaven. To this day I look forward to it. Celebration begins on Christmas Eve. The entirety of Heaven comes to a complete halt. Every being in Heaven gathers, every echelon, from the mortal angels to all the seraphim. God Himself is in attendance, sitting upon His throne, a brilliant ball of golden white light. From the steps of His throne stands the archangels. Then are the Thrones. From there are the cerebrum, and the guardian angels, etc. The lesser and mortal angels are in back, closest to the Gates of Heaven. 

This positioning doesn't matter much, except to maintain order and reinforce the places of every angel. Singing happens from Christmas Eve all the way through January 6th, with literally continuous singing over a 48 hour period of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. After that there shifts and intermittent breaks to ensure everything is running as it should. The Choir runs along both sides of the main gathering, elevated on stone bleachers, spanning from God's throne all the way to the Gates. So, regardless of your rank, you don't miss much. 

I explain all this because every Holy holiday is celebrated thusly, though never to the extent of Christmas. Things, after all, must keep running. God has it set up where you might have a day of observation with singing for Saint Valentine, and the next year you would observe St. Clementine. That way all tasks are managed, and everyone gets to celebrate their saints and patrons at least once a are. 

I also explain this because it was during the celebration of St. Monica one year that I earned my seraphim wings. 

I was in attendance. Everyone was expected to sing along; everyone wanted to sing along. Singing for an angel is one of the purest forms of rapture. We become utterly devoted and wrapped up in it. It's the closest thing to nirvana as Christian angels can achieve. 

So you would understand why it would be a perfect time for a siege. 

There was a loud, concussive boom. Given my status, I was located pretty much smack dab in the middle of the gathering. I was important, but not important enough to be front-row.

Behind me, I began to hear screams; angel screams. The ones I described once as a cooing dolphin. Screams of panic, screams of pain. Bewildered, I spun around. 

The Gates of Heaven were open. 

The Gates of Heaven were never supposed to be open. 

Without giving much thought (or really any thought, just acting on sheer impulse), I had my angel sword appear in my hand and took flight. I was nearly run down by the only archangel in attendance—as they flew by in a blur, barely even stumbling as their wings collided with mine (whereas I was flung head over head a few times before regaining my balance), I caught just a glimpse of them—and realized I hadn't the faintest clue who I had seen. Shaking myself out of my confusion, I barreled after the archangel heading towards the Gates. 

What greeted my eyes when I was close to the Gates was enough to make me stop abruptly and gasp out loud. 

Demons were pouring into Heaven. I watched, sick, as they tore innocent angels apart limb from limb. It didn't last long, but the confusion lasted long enough for the hellions to inflict substantial carnage to the first three rows of the congregation—roughly five hundred angels. 

The archangel had already engaged in battle, and backup for him was pouring in from all sides. For a while it was utter chaos; God disappeared. The choir was fleeing. Lesser angels panicked, bumping into one another mid flight. Brave choir members and lesser, pure angels (such as cherubs), were gathering up what angels they could and ushered them out of the arena to safety.