Chapter 16

"Please,"I said desperately," if you're not supposed to tell me, then don't. I don't want you to Fall—" 

Mikha'el laughed bitterly. "Fall? If I were to Fall, I would have already." 

"Even those boastful words can—" 

"Do not lecture me on things I already know." 

I abruptly stopped talking. My reaction made him speak in a nicer tone to me. 

"Just like Auriel told Metatron—what I choose to say and do is my choice, and mine alone. Now." 

Mikha'el fluttered all six wings, stretching them. He then pulled them all around him tightly so all I could see was his head, wrapped up like a blanket. He got more comfortable, and honestly it was the most relaxed I had seen him in quite some time. 

"You are the purest soul in existence. That's not me fluffing you up, stroking your ego. You are an anomaly. Truthfully you're a surprise, even to God Himself. It's why Fate showed interest in you. It's why Indrajala wants to befriend you—yes, I knew about that already. Which, leads me to my next point. 

"I know that because us angels share some attributes of God Himself, but to a lesser degree. We are omnipotent, to an extent. You already saw our ability to be several places at once, detailed by Raguel. We are able to speak telepathically. Metatron is so emotive his point gets across even though he is lacking a body, but I assure you, he has a voice." Mikha'el looked pissed, glaring off to the side. "And you would know that if I were allowed to unlock your latent angelic abilities." 

"Why am I not allowed to?" 

Mikha'el laughed. "Fear." 

I couldn't help but crinkle my nose. "Who fears me?" 

"No one. Not you, specifically. Not yet, anyway." 

I leaned forward. "Please spare me the cryptic bullshit and answer me plainly, Mikha'el." 

Mikha'el unfurled his wings. "You having a pure soul is no surprise to you. Even before today, you knew you were chosen for your mortal attributes. But you don't get it."

Mikha'el scooted forward in his chair. As he spoke, he pressed his fingertips into the palm of his opposite hand. 

"Something happened to your soul, your essence. You were born with a spiritual purity that is not seen, nor gifted, outside of natural angels. I don't know if it was a fluke, or what, but your soul is a pure concentration of grace. It's…"

I raised both eyebrows. "Go on." 

Mikha'el smiled at me, all six wings giving a brief shudder. "It's magical." 

I leaned back in my chair, a headache beginning to form, scratching at the base of my skull and behind my forehead. Mikha'el continued. 

"That is why I was told to not train you immediately in telekinesis and the like. You're too powerful. It's like you're a ready-born archangel. It's really quite absurd." 

My headache was quickly churning into anxiety. "Mikha'el…"

"Yes?"

"If you weren't supposed to tell me this…"

"Am I at risk of Falling? No."

"How? You are disobeying a direct order from God! Isn't that blasphemous? Isn't that—" 

Mikha'el held up his hand to silence me, so I stopped talking. He put his hand down. "I am also following His direct orders." 

I furrowed my brow. "How so?"