Chapter 22

You can imagine my complete confusion when I left my small abode and everyone started bowing to me.

After Auriel and I spoke, it still took me a few days to compose myself enough to venture out. You have to remember, I too was mourning. I didn't know Raguel very well, and that's why I was mourning. My guilt had changed from thinking I had been directly responsible for his death to wracking, crippling guilt that I hadn't given him a chance. I had judged him harshly when I had little reason to (forgetting that he was a prick to me to begin with).

ULCININ!

I nearly found myself for the second time on the floor because I was so startled. Luckily I caught my balance before I ended up face first against the ground. I looked up at Metatron, who was absolutely beaming at me. Or, as well as two eyes can convey smiling ecstatically.

My apologies for scaring you, Metatron continued in a normal volume in my head. I adore that you are here.

I smiled, bemused. "It's good to see you as well, Metatron. How are you...?" I trailed off, not wanting to make Metatron uncomfortable.

Ah. Raguel. Yes. I appreciate your condolences, but I believe out of any of us I took his passing the best. I am loathe to say it, but Raguel had little use for me. Truth be told, I haven't seen him in years.

I frowned, the guilt I felt dissolving immediately. Nope. He had been a prick.

"I'm sorry."

I got the distinct impression Metatron shrugged. As I said, his absence in my life made his death easier for me.

"Oh. Er. Well, if you need anything..."

"Ulcinin!"

I looked past Metatron. Auriel was almost running up to me. He stopped just in front of me. Then, without a word, he drew me into his arms for a tight embrace. Once we uncoupled, he held me at arms length.

"It is so good to see you."

"You as well," I said, embarrassed Auriel was practically gushing over me. "Er, is Mikha'el here?"

Auriel lowered his arms. "No. He wasn't expecting you, so he is tending to other things I will let him know you're here-"

"Before that," I interrupted, gently setting my fingers against his forearm. "Um, I was wondering-why is everyone bowing to me?"

"Ah. That." Auriel wrapped an arm around my shoulders and began to lead me toward the study. "Yes, well, you and I should speak before I alert Mikha'el to your presence."

I let him led me deep into the depth of Metatron, the parts where the silence was nearly impenetrable.

"Auriel," I asked hesitantly once we finally stopped. "What happened that day?"

"After Raguel-well, after he-"

"Died?"

Auriel sighed. "Yes, that. You, erm, you sort of-combusted."

"Combusted?"

"It was similar to what happened when you tapped into your angelic abilities for the first time, but much more powerful. Much more-concentrated."

I raised my eyebrows.

"You managed to send a wave of pure celestial energy but only at the demons and Fallen. The lesser demons were immediately vaporized. The Fallen were badly burned and had to retreat...you don't remember any of what I'm saying, do you?"

I frowned, a bit frustrated. "I do not." I looked off to the side. "I remember Raguel being stabbed, then I know there was some sort of-disturbance." I looked at him, brow wrinkled in confusion. "It wasn't dissimilar from that warning alert we received right before we were attacked. But everyone was knocked down-"