Chapter 3.

"Ulcinin. Henceforth, you shall be Ulcinin." 

"What does that mean?" I inquired with the curiosity of an innocent child. 

"Joyful. You bring me great joy, so you shall be Ulcinin." 

I beamed at Mikha'el, my wings twitching with delight. The sensation was odd, akin to scratching a bad itch. 

We were standing outside of a massive stone structure. There was a strange language etched onto the facade. I had been told it was the library, so I could only assume that's what the word read (asolome, I was told). 

"Come here," Mikha'el instructed. 

Confused, but without question, I stepped forward and closed the space between us. Mikha'el laid his open palm on my forehead, the fingers gripping my skull. 

Blinding, searing pain erupted throughout my body. It momentarily felt like I was set aflame, and I thought I was going to die. It was a flashfire though, the burning pain disappearing just as quick as I had felt it. The only place it resided longer was in my head, a dull, stinging ache. 

I had screamed. I stumbled away, clutching my head. All the pain gathered behind my eyes, and I didn't open them until it became a dull stinging ache. Even so I could only squint up at Mikha'el from a doubled-over position, still clutching my head. 

"What was that?" I demanded loudly, not enjoying how high-pitch my voice had become. 

"I named you," Mikha'el said, nodding once, as though I should have fucking just known that. 

I gaped. 

"That name is a part of you now." It occurred to him all at once what he had done, and he brought a finger to his lips. "Oh dear…" 

I straightened and had my very first outburst. "Next time do you fucking think you could have the common fucking courtesy to fucking warn me before you-you-brand my soul?!" 

Mikha'el gave me a grin, his hand dropping away. "Ah, there's the Ulcinin I know and love! I was wondering why you were acting so timid." 

I let out a livid shout of disbelief. No words, just anger ripping out of my throat. To my displeasure (okay, that's an understatement, I kinda wanted to rip his face off right then) he continued to smile at me. 

"That was a very apt description of what I did. I'm impressed you understood that so naturally." 

Panting, I clutched at my chest. The worst of it was over, but my eyes still felt strained, and I was feeling something akin to heartburn. 

"Also, no, I cannot warn you next time. There isn't going to be a next time." He furrowed his brow, turned his head to the side, finger back on his lips. "There shouldn't be, anyway." 

"What do you mean, shouldn't be?" I outright shrieked. 

Words and phrases that would have put the worst sailor to shame exploded out of me. If my first outburst didn't gain attention, that one certainly did. Angels outright gawked at me. I didn't care. I was so blinded by anger I'm still to this day not exactly sure what all I said. It was bad. It was all very, very bad. 

I stopped my (probably) unintelligible ranting punctuated by (loud) cussing when Mikha'el laughed. He laughed. No one else was laughing, not the angels throwing me scornful reproaches as they muttered to themselves, and I sure as shit was not laughing. Then Mikha'el had the balls to wrap his arm around my shoulders, turning me toward the library. 

"Come, Ulcinin, let us read now." 

I glared as hard as I could and said quietly, "You're a bastard. You're a bastard, and I hate you."