Chapter 40

If all of Heaven didn't fear and respect me by then, they did after what became known as The Fall of Belial. No one could believe my demented, reckless plan worked. There was a certain awe surrounding me. I became infamous, and I heard how angels began to consider it a great honor to serve besides me.

I hated it. I withdrew myself further, barely leaving my abode.

That day, the day Auriel smote Belial, I transported us directly into my quarters. It took him awhile to calm himself. Once he did, he was clearly embarrassed. It was absurd; he had nothing to be ashamed of. Putting aside my opinions, I chose to ignore his embarrassment and offered him to stay with me should he liked.

He graciously accepted the offer immediately, and shamefully slunk off to a spare room to rest.

I gave him a few days to recover. Angels were well versed in what humans eventually dubbed PTSD. As such, he was sent to see emotional medics to help him work through and address everything that had happened.

I had knocked on his door. He had requested a leave of absence. Metatron obliged, taking up Auriel's duties for the time being. I heard rumors he hadn't left his house, making the psychologist medics come to him.

"Auriel, it's me, Sera."

The door opened almost immediately. Auriel looked a little worse for wear, a faint glint of dullness to his eyes, but he smiled. "Hello."

"May I come in?"

"Of course."

I followed him into his home. I had never been. It was rather plain, but also largely what I had expected; an entire wall had been fitted as a bookshelf. Off to the side was a desk with parchment with an ink well and quill. I couldn't help but smirk.

"Tea?"

I looked at him and smiled. "That would be lovely."

Once we were situated, I spoke.

"How have you been?"

He smiled disarmingly. "Great."

I cast him a withering look. "Auriel."

"What? Truly I have been good."

I didn't believe him for a second. But, angels can't lie, so I let it be.

"May we discuss something then?"

"But of course. Anything."

I set down my drink. "Weeks ago, I told Mikha'el and Gabriel all the things I picked up on that made me realize something was terribly wrong with you and Metatron."

A dark shadow like a black storm cloud rolling in took over his face. He sipped his tea.

"I withheld what truly gave it away though."

"Oh?"

"Mikha'el told me that you considered me your best friend."

Auriel blinked and looked a little unsteady. "Oh. Why, yes, of course. I am confused, what does our friendship have to do with—"

"You would have told me."

"Oh..."

"Isn't that true?"

Auriel set down his tea, and suddenly looked incredibly sad. "I am unraveling the fact that I actually do remember quite a lot from when Belial possessed me. Little bits and pieces. I was actually conscious for great spans of time. He would force me to the forefront and make me watch as he controlled my body.

"It was...disturbing. I have repressed most of it. But you are correct; I did much thinking when I was trapped in my head. Without there much else to do, I examined my life, giving great ponder to my relationships. I came to the conclusion that you are not only one of my only friends, but yes, I considered you my best friend.