Chapter 7.

"Excuse me?" 

I only barely heard the voice. It was light, male, but soft and feminine. I was so engrossed with my studies that my brain only half-registered it. 

"Um, excuse me, if I may?" 

Understanding the voice was speaking to me, I looked up, annoyed. An angel stood over my table; he had fair skin, strikingly black hair, and thick eyelashes that put on display the pools of dark brown eyes. He wore robes of gold, a loose black belt around his waist hanging on his hips. 

My eyes immediately fell to his wings. All angels' wings were large. This fellow standing before me? His were massive. Mikha'el had nothing compared to this guy. I clearly recognized him as an archangel; he couldn't even properly fold all six behind him. It was clear he brought them about himself as tight as he could, and I felt bad for a second; he looked rather uncomfortable, with his wings all smashed together against his body like that. 

"Yes?" 

"Are you Ulcinin?" he asked in an odd cadence that came off both timid and assured. 

I bit my growing annoyance. "Yes; who's asking?" 

"Forgive me; it is I, Raphael." 

Like I was supposed to understand the significance of his name. Fighting back an eye roll, I offered a curt nod, trying to exude dismissal. "Pleasure to meet you Raphael." 

I looked down at my book. I read a page, eyes burning at the letters. When it became apparent Raphael wasn't going to leave, I ground my teeth. Getting a hold of myself, I lifted my head and grinned. It probably came off as a grimace but right then I didn't care. 

"What can I help you with?" 

"You are the Ulcinin under Mikha'el, yes?" 

"Is Ulcinin a common name?”

"No. In fact, I know no others who bear that name." 

I pinched the bridge of my nose for a moment. "Yes, I am he." 

"Oh excellent! Come walk with me." 

Was he serious? I know I was seriously losing my patience. "Er, I would rather decline for another time. You see, I have a rather heavy workload currently, one that Mikha'el set out for me—" 

Raphael looked at me patiently. "Mikha'el knows I wish to speak with you." He turned his head to the side. "Metatron—protect." 

The book before me slammed shut. Startled, I looked at it and then up at Raphael. He smiled pleasantly. 

"Come—Metatron has hidden your work. It shall be here upon your arrival, undisturbed." 

I looked back at the book. "Oh." I pushed back my chair. "Er, alright." 

I followed Raphael to the front of the library. Auriel paused from his scribing to lift his head up and smile. 

"It was a pleasure to see you, Raphael, as always." 

"Good day and tidings, Auriel, the pleasure was mine." 

"I shall see you later, Ulcinin?" 

Before I could reply Raphael spoke for me. "Oh yes; Metatron has his table waiting for his return." 

"Excellent," Auriel said agreeably, and craned his head down back to his work.

When we left and descended the stairs of Metatron, Raphael extended his wings fully behind himself so he didn't hit me. He gave them a few light swishes; even though the movement was negligible, the sheer size ruffled my hair.