Chapter Three: Alex

"Still not finished yet?"

I looked up to see the tall blond-whose name I came to really was Denise Lake. She was standing in front of me wearing a fancy evening gown.

"No," I stammered. "I..." I had been staring at the papers all day-now it was late at night. How was I to explain that I had a hard time understanding any of these fancy science terms on the paper?

Plus I had been attempting to use the phone I had found in my pocket, to text Amy who apparently was stuck in a forest somewhere. I did not get a chance to find out where exactly as her phone went offline from some sort of signal disruption.

Denise now frowned at me sternly. "I Want you to finish all that paperwork before you leave tonight." She picked a bundle of clothes off her desk and walked over to Elena. she smiled, twirling in her dress. "How do I look?"

The young woman gave a slight smile, "very nice," then she held a notebook up which she had been drawing in for the past hour or so. "I've been thinking about that statue-the one of the birds. And I don't think it is from 1500 BC. The symbols date back much older than the hieroglyphs. It can't be from the same time."

Denise held the same expression. Then when Elena finished, she shook her head. "That's nice," She threw the bundle of clothes in her hand on the table-her scrubs. "Have these cleaned tonight, will you?" Without another word she turned and danced from the room.

Elena gave a heavy sigh as she slumped back in her seat.

I also was equally frustrated. Why couldn't Denise realize Elena was onto something? That statue was special-the symbols looked like no hieroglyphs I had ever seen before.

Suddenly I had an idea. "Those are her scrubs, right?"

Slowly Elena turned and looked at me, a bewildered expression on her face. "Um, yeah? Why?"

"Well, isn't that her ID lab card?" I pointed at a card attached to the color of the shirt.

Elena's eyes widened as realization struck. She grinned. "Yes, it is her's." Standing up, she snatched the card off the shirt and walked over to the lab room. "Come on," she waved me over. "Let's see what mystery this bird is hiding."

Elena slid the card into the lock and it buzzed, the light turning green as the door unlocked. She opened the door and I followed her inside. I watched as she pulled on a white lab coat. Then she turned and tossed another one to me. "Here, let's get to work."

For the next few minutes, I watched and assisted Elena as she began using various light sensors and other equipment on the bird. The various tests were confirming our sources-this bird definitely dated back past the time of hieroglyphs.

Now the question was, who made it, and what type of language did the symbols come from? Perhaps a dead language that was nonexistent?

"This should match the symbols to any in our database," Elena explained as she set the bird on a stand. "This won't hurt a bit," she told the hawk. She pushed some buttons on the machine and sketched the strange symbol down in her notebook. Two lasers began flowing around the wooden carved statue.

Suddenly there was a cracking-the bird began to shake and cracks formed in it.

"What's happening?" I exclaimed, eyes widening.

"No!" Elena whispered.

All at once the bird statue broke apart, collapsing into many large pieces.

"No!!" Both Elena and I exclaimed. We tried to grab the pieces off the ground, but there was no putting them back together.

"I am gonna lose my job," Elena groaned. "I'm gonna go to jail."

Meanwhile I was focusing on the platform where the statue had rested. The pieces had broken apart leaving a weird pointy looking crystal object. I stared at it in shock, "What is that?"