Chapter 17, Part One: Ray

Plucking the army cap off of Noah's head, I held it out of his reach. "You've got thick hair." I teased.

"Hey," A slight smile on his face, Noah dove forward to grab the hat. But I held it up at the last minute and he missed.

"Oh so we're playing war huh?" the young man's eyes twinkled, and a full out smirk crossed his face. "Let the war begin!" Before I knew what was happening, he reached forward and began to attack me.... with tickles!

"S....st....." I was laughing so hard as he tickled my stomach that I would not speak. "Fi...fine...I surrender!" I exclaimed between laughs, falling over backwards. Noah landed on top of me and gave me a couple more seconds of tickling.

"Hey!" I gave a fake pout. "I said I gave up!"

"Okay, if you're sure you want to surrender," Noah stopped tickling me. Now his face was so close to my face I could see his brown eyes. "What are you staring at?" I asked, amused yet still puzzled.

"You're eyes," Pulling himself off of me, he helped me to sit back up. "They are a beautiful shade of blue-a sapphire blue."

"Yeah," I smoothed my black tunic and grinned. "That's why my parents gave me the middle name-Sapphire." I handed the military cap back to Noah. "Where did you get this from anyway?"

"When I was in the military," All cheerfulness faded, Noah's face at once turned grave and he seemed to pull back inside himself.

Shoot. I didn't mean for that to happen. I tried to smooth things over. Inside myself I knew how the horrors of the military life–I had first hand witness the death of one of my closest friends on the battlefield "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a sore topi-"

"It's alright," With a sigh, Noah gave a small smile to me. "It just was a tough time, that's all." For a moment he seemed to be staring off into another space as he played with the cap in his hands. "I had difficulty following orders----My mom and brother needed my help-I had to leave so I could asist them and well," he shrugged. "Nobody hires someone like me."

"I would," I spoke up before I could halt the words. My face flushed and I looked at the ground.

I felt something warm grab my hand. Turning I saw Noah was smiling at me as he squeezed my hand. "Thank you, Ray."

I squeezed his hand back, not understanding the weird warm feeling overcoming me. "You're welcome."

Abruptly the jet gave a large jolt. I heard someone cry out. Turning I saw Elena was sitting by herself, knees pulled up, worried expression on her face.

 Turning I saw Elena was sitting by herself, knees pulled up, worried expression on her face

"Come on," Tugging on Noah's hand, I hauled the man to his feet and pulled him after me. "She needs help."

I let go of Noah's hand as we approached the young woman. Sitting down beside her, I looked at her with concern. "You, okay?"