Chapter 9, Part Two: Alex

Elena and I were bent over the weird object that had been hidden inside the hawk statue. It was pointed on both ends like a diamond and its brass coils twisted down like a spiral, covering a shiny orange flowing crystal inside.

"What are the readings saying?" I asked Elena, my eyes focused on the foreign object.

"Not much," She shook her head. "Just that it's old-way older than the bird statue. We both stared at the crystal sphere for a few moments, wishing we knew what secrets it held.

Suddenly the room's lights flickered and then shut off completely.

"Uh, what happened?" I glanced around the room.

"I don't know," Elena walked over to a lamp and tried flipping the switch-nothing happened. "Power's out or something."

Suddenly there was a loud crashing sound from somewhere in the building.

My eyes widened and I looked at Elena-her face had become tense and turned pale. "Hello?" She called out, timidly.

There was silence in reply.

Slowly I crept over to the door to the lab.. I was about to grab the doorknob so I could open it when the door flew inwards.

I jumped back just as a young wavy-brown haired man burst into the room.

"Ahh!" Elena screamed.

I stepped back, sensed alertness. "Who are you?" I asked the strange man.

"Uh, I'm the Janitor," He stammered. His eyes began to take in the room. I followed his gaze and saw his glance rest on the glass spiral.

He started to sprint towards it but I tripped him with my foot. With a cry of surprise, he fell over and Elena hastily snatched the crystal sphere up.

The man shoved me back as he picked himself up and began to approach Elena. "Look, this is not what it looks like," Pausing mid step, he glanced around the room. Than he shrugged. "Okay, maybe it is," He ran towards Elena.

"Ahh!" the woman shrieked, running to the other side of the table. she scowled. "This is museum property."

"Actually It belongs to these giant robots from space, " the man explained.

Elena just stared at him. "Really?" she raised an eyebrow at his excuse. Even I had to scoff. That was the best alibi he had?

The young man ignored her reaction and instead reached again for the spiral. She ducked back, screeching as she ran around the table.

"Look, you might not get it but these friends of mine," the man stammered, scratching the back of his head. "They are aliens from another planet and they need that!"

I tried to stop him by stepping on his way. But he dodged me and again leapt forward in an attempt to snatch the spiral.

Elena jumped back, screaming.

The door flew open and I saw a figure enter. My eyes widened as I recognized the auburn-haired teenage girl. "Ray?"

"Alex!" she exclaimed, eyes wide. She ran up to me and I gave her a big hug. "Are you okay Ray?"

"Yeah," she nodded, then looked at me with worry. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I-"

"Security!" Elena screeched at the top of her lungs.

I turned to see the man still chasing her around the table. Come on, where WAS security?

"Noah!" To my surprise Ray addressed the young man, "What are you doing?"

"She's got the key!" The man paused in his running to look at Ray. "the one Optimus needs."

"Oh!" Ray's eyes widened. "We need that key," she looked at Elena. "Please, our friends, they-"

Suddenly the door swung open yet again.

"Nobody moves!"

All of us turned to see the security guard standing in the doorway.

"It's about time you got here!' Elena exclaimed.

The guard took a step forward, "Now what's goin-" he was cut off mid step.

There was a blinding flash of light and a loud explosion that reverberated through the room, throwing all of us to the ground.