Chapter 31: Ray

(watch above video to go with the selection below for full effect)

"Hey Knuckles, you there?"

Kris's loud worried voice startled me, interrupting the almost-kiss. Opening my eyes, I jerked back from Noah and glanced around. "What?" my eyes focused on the walkie talkie on Mirage's arm.

"Yo, Sonic?"

Noah's code name, I had to smile at that.

The young man seemed just as startled at hearing his brother's voice. "k-Kris?"

"Noah?" Kris's anxious voice echoed over the walkie talkie. "What's going on? Where's Mirage?"

"He..." Noah's voice was choked up as he looked at me. I felt tears fill my eyes. "He's gone."

"Gone?" Kris' voice now was a whisper.

"I'm sorry Kirs," Eyes moistening, Noah swallowed. "I'm not gonna win this one."

Kris was not having it though. He spoke through the walkie talkie again, now in a determined voice. "We don't lose, right?"

With a pained smile, Noah shook his head. "I wish that were true, but I can't."

"Yes, you can," Kris retorted confidently.

Noah shook his head, "No, no man. I'm not you, I-"

His younger brother cut him off. "I hate being sick," he said firmly. "Whenever I wanna give up, you're always there telling me to keep going," he paused, then went on resolutely. "But now it's my turn. Keep going, Noah! You think you're nobody, but you're the strongest guy I know!"

I had to admit the kid's voice was very powerful-he sure was there for his brother-even though he did not realize how truly hopeless the situation was.

"Kris," I now spoke up. "Noah's right, it's-"

Suddenly there was a coughing sound.

"You guys...are so cute."

I was startled by the voice, but a feeling of relief also washed over me. "Mirage!"

"Mirage?" Noah exclaimed, eyes widening. "You're alive?"

Both of us looked up to see Mirage's optics flickering as he grinned down at us from the cave position he was still in.

"Yeah," Mirage grinned. "But I'm gonna need you to take the wheel."

"Wh-" Noah started to speak. But he was interrupted when suddenly Mirage began to vibrate.

My eyes widened and I watched with amazement as the autobot's body began to break apart, lifting upwards.

All at once the pieces began to fly together-surrounding Noah.

Within five seconds Noah now lay in front of me wearing an almost Iron-man like metal suit-made from Mirage.