Chapter 23 Ray

Angrily I walked away from Mirage, my arms folded. He whirled up into his robot form and threw his hands up. "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"Yeah well you still made me sick," Even now my stomach was still churning.

"I- '' Mirage was cut off as Airazor flew down and landed on a tree stump with a loud flap of her wings.

"Is everyone okay?" she asked softly, her gaze resting on me. "Did Scourge hurt you?"

"No," Rubbing my arm I shook my head. Aside from my ankle, which was bruised and achy, I had been otherwise mostly unhurt. "Though I don't get why he took me."

"He wants your power," Optimus Prime said grimly. He shook his head. "He knows that you are from another world and he wishes to gain that world for Unicron-he said so himself right before he left."

"So now he's after her too?" Folding her arms with a sigh, Arcee frowned. "Great."

"Her and the other two children," Optimus shook his head. "I should never have allowed any of you humans to get involved. Now your lives are in danger!"

Without another word he stormed off into the forest. The rest of the autobots exchanged glances.

"I'm going to try and track Noah," Mirage broke the silence.

"Let's figure out a recon plan," Arcee suggested. Wheeljack and Airazor began conferring with her.

I stood apart from the group-Optimus words ringing in my head. He was blaming himself–for all of this. For everything bad that had happened.

Turning I saw Optimus standing a few feet away at the cliffside which overlocked the village we had just left.

"Optimus," Walking up to him, I put my hand on his metal leg as I looked up at his head many stories above. I knew how much he was holding himself responsible for everything. "Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault."

Optimus tensed slightly and I realized he had been startled by my voice. He did not move as he continued to gaze out at the village, speaking in a grave voice. "They want to go home," he glanced back where the autobots were talking. "This is our chance. If I fail I-"

"No," I interrupted him. "There is no "I". We are all in this together-we are a team, everyone one of us."

Optimus Prime was silent.

I tried again. "Look, Optimus, no matter what way this turns out-you are a leader," I spoke softly. "You're autobots-they love you-they look up to you. They know you are doing what you can and that you can't control everything," I patted his leg again. "Stuff happens. There is no knowing what will happen or controlling the way the universe goes-only God can do that."

Now I fell silent, waiting for Optimus to speak, hoping I had not made things worse.

I was just about to turn and join the autobots when Optimus moved with a slight grunt. His blue optics focused down on me. "You are right," he sighed. "But I still must try."

Sympathy filled me as I realized he was still blaming himself-no matter what I had said. There was nothing I could do to change the weight he felt was on his shoulders-to tell him no, he was not alone.

Now I too felt a weight on my shoulders-this Optimus Prime. He was suffering-in pain–and I couldn't help him.

Abruptly I heard a shout.

"I found him!" Mirage was exclaiming. "I got Noah's signal!"

"Wait, but what is that?" Arcee pointed at an hologram displayed on the ground.