Chapter Six: Ray

Soon enough the subway stopped, and I got off. Now I climbed the stairs and entered the dark city. All at once I had a sinking feeling. It was dark out-there would be no buses. It was far too late. I would have to wait until the morning.

But where could I stay meanwhile?

    Anxiously, I walked on, my heart thumping with every footstep. It was pitch black out except for the streetlamps and everything was quiet-too quiet.

    Suddenly there was a hissing.

    I gave a shriek of alarm. A cat jumped in front of me. "Oh, it's just you," I gave a heavy sigh as the furry creature pranced away.

    "Stop being a coward," I scolded myself aloud. "There's nothing out there."

    Even so it was a city-downtown New York City. I needed to find a safe place before anything bad happened.

    I walked on more quickly and scanned the area. A hotel was straight up ahead-maybe if I had my wallet still.

I reached into my pocket and to my gratitude there was a gathering of bills right where I always kept them.

"Thank God," I sent up a prayer of thanks. Then I hastily crossed the street-being careful to not slip in the kitten heeled sandals I had worn. Arriving in front of the hotel, I realized it was some sort of apartment place. Maybe they will still let me rent a room for the night. Hastily I smoothed my blue shirtsleeve shirt and knee skirt and then entered the building.

To my dismay I saw the inside was even more luxurious than the outside. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, a tall staircase spiral upwards. Lush carpets covered the floor. There was no way I could afford this place.

With a heavy sigh, I turned to go. Abruptly I bumped into something hard. I looked up and came face to face with a stern-faced woman in a business suit. "Where have you been?" she snapped. "I asked the agency to send me somebody by five o'clock and that was over four hours ago!

"I- '' before I could explain that she had me mixed up with someone else, the woman shook her head. "Don't bother, come with me. I need you to get to work right away; room 21 just ordered more towels."

    The woman practically dragged me to the storage closet and threw a bundle of folded towels into my hands. Then  before I knew what was happening, I was being sent on errands all over the hotel. I had no chance to explain myself as a new room service request would come in before I could even murmur a word to the lady in charge.

    I did have to admit though-at least I was inside and not on the dark streets.

    But I was getting exhausted and if I didn't get a chance to sit soon my legs felt like they would fall off.

    "There is one more request, then you can be dismissed to your lodgings for the night," the woman from earlier told me. "Here," she handed a pair of keys to me. "Mr. and Mrs. Davis requested a folder be fetched from their car. It should be in the glovebox."

    "What?" I stared at the keys in my hand. It was late and my mind was fried.

"Folder, glovebox, car," the woman snapped. "It's a silver Porsche Carrera; parking spot 25, section C. Now go!"

    Before I could say one more syllable the woman had pushed me in the direction of the elevators.

    "Come on, I just want to go to bed," I groaned as I stepped into the elevator. The door slid shut and I pressed the button for the ground floor.

At least the bossy lady said I could go to my lodgings after this–wait a second. I didn't have lodgings!

Unless maybe they provided them for the servants here?