40. Only You

"Seokjin."

Jungkook finally spoke. The atmosphere inside the car was taut ever since their departure from the restaurant. He had contemplated discussing matters once they arrived home but couldn't wait any longer, particularly when Seokjin hadn't met his gaze since their dinner ended.

The said man hummed, his grip on the steering wheel getting even more tight than before. The soft glow of the dashboard illuminated the lines of concern etched into his features.  Jungkook noticed the clenching of his jaw and the way he roughly massaged the back of his neck.
He gently swatted Seokjin's hand away, replacing it with his own, offering a soothing massage to the tense muscles.

By now, Jungkook was certain it wasn't what he initially thought. When Seokjin had pulled him out of the restaurant, his furrowed brow and stern gaze had led Jungkook to believe he was jealous.

However, this wasn't the demeanor of a jealous Seokjin. A jealous Seokjin wouldn't fall into silence or avoid eye contact. He wouldn't withdraw his hand when Jungkook tried to entwine their fingers.

This was a troubled and upset Seokjin.

"Pull over."

"Huh?"

"Stop the car, yeobo," Jungkook repeated firmly. Seokjin briefly considered responding but ultimately complied, parking the car by the side of the road.

"What happened?"

Jungkook climbed over the console with graceful ease, as if it were a well-practiced maneuver for both of them.

It was.

Once comfortably perched on Seokjin's lap with his legs on either side, Jungkook turned off the dome light to avoid drawing unnecessary attention, creating a cocoon of intimacy in the car.

"Jungkook?"

"You tell me what's wrong. What's bothering you?"

It's the way Seokjin averted his eyes that confirmed Jungkook's suspicions, "nothing's wrong. Why are you asking?"

"Don't lie to me. I know all that restaurant thing is doing something with your mind."

"I'm not jealous." Seokjin turned his gaze toward the passing cars outside the window. It was his way of evading Jungkook's questioning and concerned eyes.

But it's Jungkook we're talking about. If Seokjin was stubborn, Jungkook was even more so.
"I know you're not jealous." Jungkook gently grasped Seokjin's chin, coaxing him to meet his eyes.

Seokjin resisted, but Jungkook's touch was unwavering. He cupped Seokjin's face and turned it towards him with a gentle force. "Seokjin, talk to me, love. What's going on?"