Chapter 9

Uchiha Madara didn't read your letter in his study. He didn't even unfold it. He found himself bringing it to his bedchamber. The scented oil lingered in the hallway and when he arrived in his bedchamber, he took a breath through his nose before releasing a sigh through his lips.

He sat down and leaned his back on the closed door. The only lamp in his quarters provided the only illumination in the otherwise dimly lit room as he finally unfolded the parchment.

Then another parchment slid down. He took the parchment and unfolded it as well and before his eyes he saw a tanka poem written in elegant handwriting.

Madara wouldn't admit it, but this was the first time he had ever received a poem from someone. Most of the women would be too intimidated to even give him a poem. And he wouldn't bother reading them even if they ever give him one.

But with you it was different.

Madara took the letter first and read it. It wasn't what he expected. The letter was short and simple, almost formal. If you didn't include the poem, it would seem as though you were just sending a letter to a subordinate.

After reading the letter, Madara took the other parchment containing the poem.

"She has beautiful handwriting, I'll give her that," he said before he started reading the poem.

═.★.══════════

Under the blossoms

my love will finally bloom

Wait for me my dear

For I will have come to love

You on a bright spring morn

══════════.☆.═

You had made the tanka poem with the thought that once the cherry blossoms are in full bloom, you would have already fallen in love with him. You would have already given yourself to him. Your words were an indication that you are willing to open up your heart to him.

"How..." Madara trailed off, searching for the right word to describe it. But he didn't continue his words and instead leaned his head back, his hand falling to his side as he closed his eyes.

"Where in the world did she take this tanka poem from?"

Although he doesn't know that it was you who wrote the tanka poem yourself, so you could express your feelings more than just copying a text from a book of poetries. You wanted your first poem for someone to be as special as that person you're giving it to.