Chapter 27

No one noticed your absence, the Elders were busy betting on which team would win the Hunting Game. Their laughter echoed through the woods.

No one but the woman you had been talking to earlier noticed that you were gone for quite a while. She looked around, feeling a sense of ennui at being left in the company of old men who were too loud at voicing out unnecessary things.

"Where could have the young dove flown?" she asked no one in particular while still looking around until her eyes caught a handmaiden running from the woods. "She looks familiar."

The woman stood up and walked towards the handmaiden whom she finally recognized as yours.

"My lady..." Hana said, breathing heavily as she swallowed down before looking behind her. "My lady...she passed out...near the stream."

"And where is she now?"

"I...she's still there. I went back to get help—"

"Oh my word!" the woman said exasperatedly and Hana flinched. "You left there near the stream? While our men are out in the woods hunting? What if a wild animal came running there? Or an arrow misfiring to where she is?"

Hana let out a gasp loud enough for the others to look at her as her eyes widened in horror. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to leave my lady there, but I can't drag her back either! I—"

"Oh don't fret. The stream is a safe zone. Let's get over there."

"It's safe?" Hana asked, letting out a sigh as she closed her eyes for a moment before following the woman. "But why did you say those awful possibilities?"

"I was just testing you," the woman said with a shrug. "I thought you purposely left your lady there but your fear for her safety is genuine. Oh, but what if the stream overflow and she dro—"

"Please don't say awful possibilities anymore!" Hana said, raising her voice before she realized it and quickly apologized while the woman just laughed it off and waved her hand dismissively.

You were brought back to the closed quarters. As ironic as it sounds, when you hoped no one would have had to use the closed quarters, you were the first one to be brought there.