Chapter 22

Uchiha Madara was the first one to awake the next morning. It was to be expected, considering what you went through the night before.

But then again, just because Madara had woken up earlier, it doesn't mean he had a good start of the day. The sake he had purposely got in his head last night is starting to give him a nasty headache and as he sat up, he felt his head throbbed. He lowered his head, his forehead on his palm and his fingers rubbed his temples.

He stayed like that for a moment until he felt shuffling from beside him and Madara leaned back, looking at you. He thought you had also woken up, but you simply turned to your side, facing Madara.

When the light from the sun flooded in the room, Madara noticed something on your face and he propped his hand down for support as he leaned closer to you.

"Are those unshed tears I see on the side of your face?" he asked in a voice not above a whisper before he lifted his other hand, hovering above your face. "You're crying in your sleep again."

He lowered his hand and in a touch akin to a feather, he wiped the unshed tears before getting up from the bed and leaving the bedchamber.

Even as he sits in the wooden bathtub, his mind still wanders about what kind of dream you are having for you to be shedding those tears even in your slumber.

Not long after Madara left, you had woken up from a dream. In your dream, you were crying so you thought you would also be crying in your sleep. You expected unshed tears but when you touched your face, it was cold yet dry.

"My Lady, are you awake?" a familiar voice of a handmaiden came from outside and you sat up but winced a bit when you felt the slight throb of your hips.

"Yes, you may come in," you said, rubbing your side before the doors slid open and the handmaidens walked in.

They helped you freshen up to start off the day. Their eyes glued to the ground and their expressions unchanging upon seeing the marks that Madara left on your pristine body. At least the marks are hidden upon wearing your kimono.

After Madara set an example the other day when the handmaidens were gossiping over your nights with him, the women knew not to speak a word of it ever again.

While the handmaidens are doing your hair, you sit in front of a vanity mirror and your mind wanders back to your dream.