Chapter 3

TW: Violent Language, violence, panikattack, blood

Maya turned to Carina after they left the hospital. "You really don't have to come with me. I'm going back to the station and on my way I am getting a new epipen." "Maya, you can't work." "I have worked through worse." "That is not a valid reason. Maya... Wait." But Maya was already on her way to the pharmacy. Carina followed her. "Maya!!" "This is how I do things I don't take breaks. I don't take sick days. Eyes forward at all times. This is how I won my medal. This is how I be came the youngest captain of Seattle. Go with it or leave." Carina understood the there was no disgussing this with Maya. "Okay but i'm coming with you." "I don't need a Babysitter." "No but maybe we can finish with we started." Carina said with a smirk. Maya smiled.

After they got the epipen, they walked to the station. It wasn't far away from the hospital. Just before they arrived Carinas phone rang and stayed outside to talk. Maya made her way into her office. "Hi kiddo."A familiar voice greated her. "Dad, what are you doing here?" "I came to check on you. And i'm glad I did. Leaving your station in the middle of the day? I taught you better than this." "Dad, I had an allergy shock." "Allergy stupid excuse. Only losers have allergies. Are you a Loser?" "No you know about my allergy and it is nothing I need to be embaressed off." "Oh kiddo. What has happened to your focus? Eyes forward!! Remember?" Lane started yelling. Maya flinched ever so slightly. "Oh, so now you are scared? I'll have to come check on you more often again to see, that you don't lose your focus again." Lane spat "I'm doing just fine." Maya hissed and Lane slaped Maya across the face. It hasn't been the first time, he got physically violent with her but definatly the first time in a long while. "You need to leave." "You can't throw me out. I'm your father." "Dad, please leave." Maya opened the door of her office, where Dean and Jack stood. They escorted him to the door. "You are nothing without me. Remember that." Lane said and pushed her out of the way. Maya stumbled and slit down the wall, after he had walked out. She had a small scratch on her cheek, where her dads ring had cut her. But that didn't bother her. It was getting harder and harder to breathe. Memories of her dad forcing her to run, slapping her, pushing her down and making here do continuous workouts even the she was really tired, ran across her mind. They seemed so real. Maya couldn't breathe. "I.... I... No... I .. can't... No.." She choked out. When someone touch her knee, she jump. She was so scared. "It's me,  Bella. Can you hear me? Take a deep breath. You are okay. He is not here anymore. Breathe breathe." Carina counted boxbreathing out for Maya. It took a while for Maya to calm down. When she did, tears where running down her cheeks. Carina pulled her into a big hug. "I got you, bambina. I got you."

Carina took her into the her bunkroom and covered her with a blanket. Maya was still crying and clinging to Carina like her life depended on it. Carina rubed her back and wispered sweet nothings in her ear. She texted Andy to take over as Captain as Maya was in no state to command a scene. But when the klaxon ran Maya jumped up and ran out the door. "Maya. Maya wait." "There is a call. Carina, i have to go." "I told Andy to cover for you. You are in no shape to work." "I can work. I'm okay." "No. Maya. Please." "I love you, but you need to stop telling me what to do. I am fine and i am working." Maya ran over to the engine and put her turnouts on. Andy looked at her questioningly. "I thought you were out." "No. I am fine." "You aren't, but i'm gonna let it slide."

A few days had gone by. Carina knew that Maya was struggling. She was quick to snap and always on edge. She had nightmares, but refused to talk about them and she was not smiling anymore. Andy and the rest of the station had realized it aswell. "Maya. Talk to me. Whats wrong?" Andy had asked her on the way home from a call. "I'm fine." "No you are not. You are snapping at everyone, you aren't focused and you are driving Carina crazy. Talk to me." Maya just shook her head.

Her mind was going havoc. She was thinking about 500 things at once and she knew she wasn't doing as good of a job. She knew she was lacking and it scared the crap out of her. She couldn't make mistakes.

After the shift she went to Carinas appartment as she was staying over. "Carina." Maya yelled. She saw that Carina had started on dinner, but then stoped as she saw bloodtraces going from the kitchen to the bathroom. "Carina?" Mayas heart raced. Had she hurt herself? She was definatly bleading quite a bid. "I'm okay. I'm  in the bathroom." Carina said. Maya ran over and found her over the sink, her nose bleeding heavily. "Oh." Maya said. "Its just a nosebleed. Can you get me an Icepack?" "Sure." Maya quickly went to grab one and placed it in Carinas neck. Slowly the bleeding tappered of and Carina started cleaning her face and the sink. "That was heavy." "It was. I blew my nose to hard." Carina said. "I am not getting rid of this cold. Its frustrating." "I'm sorry, Baby." "I'm gonna take a shower." "I  need one, aswell. May i join you?" Carina nodded, but said. "But just showering. I am so tired this cold is getting to me. I just want to shower, eat and then get some cuddles." "That is fine. I am exhausted aswell." Maya said, sounding really tired. "Oh, Bella. Whats wrong?" "Nothing, just tired." Maya sounded utterly defeated.

They took the shower and made something for dinner. Carina didn't eat much, but Maya let it slide. She wasn't very hungry herself. They cuddled up under the covers and enjoyed eachothers company. "Carina?" "Hm?" "I'm sorry." "Why?" "I am closed off." "Its okay. I would love for you to share whats bothering you, but do it at your own timeline." "Thank you." "You're welcome, Bambina. I am hear to listen if you want to talk." "I will talk. Just not right now." "Okay. Love you." "love you, too."