Chapter 20

TW: A little bid of blood.

The next few day were nice. Carina was off work because she had decided to only work 25h a week, no long sugeries. Mostly she consulted and did paperwork to run her Department. At home she had made it her project to give Maya the best christmas.

They watched every Christmas movie and laughed over the absurdity. In the end they were really good at predicting the ending of the film within the first 5 minutes. Carina showed Maya how to bake cookies and to both their surprise Maya had no problem eating them. She did change the Candles on the Advent wreath to LED ones, but that was more due to it being a fire hazard.

Maya was still off work the week before Christmas due to her arm. It would take a while to be fully functional again, but for now Maya had to stay at home. Well atleast not work. When Carina was at the hospital Maya would often hang out at the Station. She would yell the others through drills and drive them nuts because she was so bored, but with her dominant hand being out of order she was pretty much useless.

Two days before Christmas Andy called Carina around Lunchtime. The italian was at the hospital. "Andy?" "Hey. Do you know if Maya changed her mind about coming over today?" "No. I made lasagna i told her to bring it to you. Is she not there?" "No. She is not." "Okay. Did you call her?" "Yes. But she doesn't answer." "Alright. I will take my paperwork home with me and check. Thanks for calling me." "Text me when you find her." "I will. Ciao." "Bye." Carina hung up. She stuffed her Laptop and Patient files in her bag swung it around her shoulder and took the cane to leave the hospital.

"Maya?" Carina asked carefully. No answer. "Maya?" Carina said more forcefully as she found the apartment in a mess. Then the blonde came out of the bathroom.

"hey. What are you doing home?" "Checking on you? What happend? Why aren't you at the station and why is the Apartment such a mess. And what is that smell?" "Wait what time is it?" "Its 1pm." Carina said. "Oh." Maya limped over to the couch. "Why are you limping?" "I stabed my foot with a scredriver?" "How? Why?"

Carina sat down next to her." "I wanted to build this bird feeder. I was at the park and there were so many bird. Look i got a book. Here look." "Maya breathe. Why were you at the park? the station is the other way." "I was going to the shop for Oats. Oh shit i forgot to buy oats." "Okay. So you went to the store for oats and got a birdfeeder and a book?" "And seeds. Look they are so cute. I watched them in the park. There was a lady feeding them." "Oh so you saw them in the park and decided to get food for them." Maya nodded happily.

"Why did you want to get oats?" "Oh because i burnt the last we had." "You burned oats?" "I wanted to make oatmeal, but i needed Music and the speaker was not pointing to the kitchen and when i turned i saw that the shelf was all dusty so i cleaned it." "By cleaning you mean you took all of the stuff out and didn't put it back in?" "Yeah, because the oats burnt." "Oh and then you went to the shop to get oats and saw birds in the park and got food for them and a book and you wanted to build it so you stabed yourself with a screwdriver?" "Yes. I held it with my feet and screwed with my left hand and slipped." "Can i see please?" Maya lifted her foot. "Okay." Carina took the bloody sock off. "It doesn't look too deep, but there is no bandaid on it? Why?"

"The cabinet door in the bathroom is loose. i was fixing it when you came in." Carina sighed. Maya looked all disheveled and kept changing her seating position. "When is the last time you took you ADHD Meds?"

"Monday. I think?" "Monday. Maya its friday." "I know i forgot on Monday and then i thought well i do not need them i'm not working and i feel so blah with them. I don't know. So i stopped taking them, but i did take the Anti-drepressants i'm not stupid." "Did you take them today?" "Shit no. I forgot. I take them after breakfast, but i burnt the oatmeal. Oh fuck i didn't buy oats." "Maya breathe. Its okay. Can you see why you need to take them?" Maya took a deep breath. "Yes. I'm sorry."

"Its okay. Now i will make you a snack and you eat it and take your meds. Then i will hand you the Lasagna and i will drive you to the station. I will go back home because i have work to do. I will come and pick you up in the evening and we will clean the Apartment together." "Okay. Sorry."

"Here you go. One Lasgna and one Maya off her ADHD meds. Good luck. Please make sure she doesn't walk to much, she has stabed her foot with a screwdriver. I will pick her up around 5. Okay?" "That is fine. We will keep her ocupied." "Hey. I am not a child." "Maya i have some bubble wrap in my office. We got some new things. Would you like that?" "Yes." Maya said sheepishly. "I got her." Andy smiled and Carina nodded. "See you later." "Love you, bambina. Be good." "Yes Mom. I love you, too."

Since A-shift was on on christmas eve and christmas morning, Carina and Maya celebrated Christmas at the station. It was so much fun. Since Carina couldn't really stand and cook she ordered the team around until they started calling her Captain.