Chapter 30

Mayas friend Lloyd from the SFQ stood infront of the arch ready to officiate. Since they were already married it was just symbolic to do it again. Ben and Maya came in from the right side and Miranda and Carina came in from the left. Dean played something on the Piano and Vic sang a soft tune.
"When i am down and all my thoughts are weary, when troubles come and my heart burden be, when i am still and waiting in the silence until you come and sit a while with me..." When the song was over everyone clapped.

"We have gathered here today to celebrate the union of Maya Grace Bishop and Carina Lucia Deluca. I understand you wrote your own vows?" They nodded.
Maya notices that Carinas face was paler than usuall. Her hands were cold, but sweaty and her eyes were glased over. She was sure, something was wrong or maybe Carina was just nervous.

But when Carina started speaking and her voice was raspy and rough Maya realized, Carina was sick. She squezzed Carinas hands tighter and listened to the words Carina spoke.

When she was done, Maya said her vows and they turned back to Lloyd. "Okay. So i ask you, Carina Deluca, do you take Maya Bishop as your wife do vow to love her in sickness and in health, in richness and poorness till death do you part?" "I do." "And do you Maya Bishop take Carina Deluca as your wife do vow to love her in sickness and in health, in richness and poorness till death do you part?" "Yes. I do." "Then i pronounce you wife and wife. You may kiss now."

It was strange. The moment Lloyd said the words Carinas ears blocked out all sound. She could only hear a ringing. Her legs tingled and her vision blurred. She grasped Mayas hands tighter and then she felt something hard under her face. She didn't hear anyone, only the ringing and then it felt as if a big stone was put on her chest. "I...can't breathe..." She gasped. She realized she was laying on the ground and there were people around her, but when she realized something else she started paniking. "Maya! Maya? I can't.... feel.....I can't...feel...my...legs."

When Carina fell Maya was quick to grab her and lay her down softly. Everyone gasped. Amelia ran over and helped get Carina on her back. "She is burning up." She stated and yelled for Teddy to come over and for Vic to call an ambulance. Andy quickly guided everyone outside. That they could take care of Carina in peace. Carina was gasping for air. The Oxymeter that thankfully was in the big Firstaid bag they had stationed at the venue read 90.  "She needs oxygen." Maya said. "We know, but we don't have any here." Jo looked around. She quikly grabbed the oxygen bottle they used to blow up the ballons and fastend plastic waterbottle on it cut it in half and held it to Carinas face. "it works. Her oxygen is going up." Amelia was therewhile checking her sensation, up to her bellybutton Carina didn't feel anything.
She had also wet herself and so Teddy went to get the spare clothes she had brought for Carina and Vic put a blanket over her to keep some decency.

It all went so fast. Maya was terrified but the fear in Carina eyes was a hundret times worse. Maya held her hand and kept kissing her forehead telling her its going to be okay, when she really didn't know. Noone knew what was happening. Carina cryed. She was in pain and scared, she couldn't remember ever being so scared.

"36year old female. Themperature of 104, Bp low. 143bmp. Sensoryloss in the legs and pain in the back. Sudden fall without a cause, no head trauma." Amelia recited. She had already called it in and had ordered a MRI and a CT for Carina. They imediatly made their way to radiology and Teddy put in an IV while they waited for the CT to be empty.

Carina had calmed down a little. They had moved her into a room. Maya was still sitting in her weddingdress holding her wifes hands and rubbing her thumb over Carinas hand. Carina had a cpap mask on her face and a blanket up to her chin. "I'm so scared." Carina wispered. "I know. But the Temperature has already gone down a little." "Mhm." Carina took a staggered deep breath. "You are really pretty." She wispered. "Thank you. So are you." Maya said and kissed her forehead.

"We have to do a spinal tab." Amelia said as she read them Carinas results. "Why?" Maya asked. Amelia showed them the blood work and the MRI picture. "There is an infection around the spine. I need to know if this is Guillan Barre Syndrom." "Guillan what?" Maya asked. "Guillan Barre Syndrom. Its an inflation of the the nerves in her spine." Carina nodded. "Okay."

Maya sat anxiously by Carina's bedside in the sterile hospital room, her fingers intertwined with Carina's as they awaited the results of the spinal tap. Carina's face bore the weight of illness, her eyes reflecting both pain and fear. The air hung heavy with the uncertainty of what lay ahead.

The doctor entered, a solemn expression etched on their face. Maya's heart skipped a beat as they began to speak, delivering the news that would shape the path of their journey. Carina listened intently, her grip on Maya's hand tightening.

"The test results are very clear.  Guillain-Barré Syndrome. We need to get you on immuniglomuline and steroids fast. ," Amelia explained, and hung the medication, atatching it to Carinas line.

Maya's eyes met Carina's, a silent exchange of shared concern. In that moment, the walls of the hospital room seemed to close in, and the couple clung to each other. "We need to wait and see if this does the trick, if the pralysis rises and it gets even harder to breathe, we might have to intubate." Carina sobed silently. "Its the last resort.  Lets hope the antibiotics and the other medication help." Amelia squezzed Carinas hand and looked over to Maya. "I can sit with her for a little, Andy brought you some clothes." Maya nodded. She kissed Carinas forehead. "I will be right back."

Maya googled GBSand she really shouldn't have. Only 30% survive without lasting damage. Maya cryed silently alone and then pulled herself together. She needed to be strong for Carina now.