Chapter 26

Eventhough Maya was so exhausted, she had a hard time falling asleep. The following day spooked in her mind and everything she had to do that had to do with her mothers death. She was so overwhelmed, not even Carinas warms could calm her down. But around two am she finally fell asleep. 

She woke to someone brushing hair out of her face and giving her a soft touch to the forehead. "Bambina?" Maya sighed. Carina had sat on the side of the bed. Maya saw the cane next to her, so she knew her back was bad that day. Maya turned to look at Carina. "Good morning." she rasped out. "Did you sleep alright? I felt you turning and twisting almost all night. You were only calm the last few hours so i let you sleep." "What time is it?" Maya gasped sitting up quickly. "Its 10 am. You have plenty of time until the hearing." "But no. I need to do so much. I have to call the funeral home and organize a funeral, i don't even know if my mom had friends, i don't know who to call, i have to call her landlord and orgnize a date to come and collect her stuff, i have to cancle all her subscriptions. I need to figure out if she had a last will. I i... And the hearing is at 12. How am i to do all this?" "Maya... Maya?" Carina tried to disrupt her, but Maya wouldn't have it until Carina firmly held her still. "I already did all of that. I callled a number on Kathrines Phone Called "Anne" with which she was frequently talking and meeting up. She agreed to orgnize a funeral at their church and she wants to meet with you next week to go through the appartment, i also talked to the funeral home. I did everything. Its all good. Okay." Maya was too stunned to speak. "You did that for me, when Andrea died. I did it for you. Its what we do." Mayas eyes watered and she hugged Carina tightly. "Thank you." 

Carina went back into the kitchen and Maya followed soon after. She had to eat something and take her meds. "Did Mason already get up?" Maya asked. "No. Not since i am up. And i am up since 7am." "oh.." Maya sighed. "No its okay. My back was sore, but i already put the Tense device on and did some physio exercises so it is better now." Maya nodded and pushed her porridge around on her plate. "Why don't you go wake him? He will want some food, too and we need to tell him about the hearing. I don't know if he knows." Maya nodded and went to the guest bed room. She knocked. Nothing. She knocked again. Nothing. Maya opened the door. The room was empty. There was noone in there, but the big blue fluffy blanket that usually rested on the bed was gone. Everything else seemed as if Mason was never there. 

"He left." Maya said. "Did he leave a not somewhere?" "No. I didn't find one." "The blue blanket is gone." Maya stated. Carina left the kitchen and went with Maya to the spare bedroom. Everything seemed normal. Maya opened the closet, they kept winter clothes and her hiking gear. "My big below zero sleeping bag is gone, and your big thick winter coat." "You don't think?" Carina asked. Maya nodded and sat down on the bed. "He took it and left. He is probably high right now." "You don't know that. Maybe he went home. He said he lived in an apartment. " "Why would he need a sleeping bag, if he could go back to the sober living home." "He didn't take anything from the kitchen." "Didn't he?" Maya sighed. "Or didn't you notice?" "Well i din't notice, but all the alcohol is at Bens and all the knives are still there and your medicine was there too wasn't it?" Maya nodded. Carina got up and went into the living room. She picked up Kathrines phone and looked for Masons number. She handed it to Maya. "Call him." Maya nodded. She left it rang for an eternity, Nothing. Maya sighed. "He isn't picking up." 

Carina and Maya went back into the living room. Maya was tearing up. "I should have kept him save. He is my little brother. He should have been save with me. I am so selfish." She sobbed. Carina picked up her handbag and looked for tissues. "No, Maya. It was not your fault." She stopped in her movement. "What? Maya stopped aswell. Carina sighed. "My prescription pad is gone. " "What? But he can't use them? Can he? He needs your signature? He can't get things with it." "He can unfortunatly. they often don't compare signatures and a signature is early forged." Maya sobbed. Carina hugged her. "I am so sorry. But there is nothing i can do." Carina sighed and rubbed Mayas back. "It is not your fault." Maya sighed. "But it is not yours either." Carina said and framed Mayas face with her hands. "It is not our fault. It is his addiction. He cant help it." "I need to find him." "We will." Maya grabbed her phone. I have some police officers i know. Officer Reis. She has been on some calls with me. I have to call her. She owes me." Carina nodded. "Okay. But eat your porridge." 

"Officer Karen Reis, good morning." "Good morning Officer Reis. Its Captain Maya Bishop from station 19. I am calling on a personal matter and i was hoping for your help." "Sure, Bishop. I can always count on you, so you can count on me." "My brother Mason is lost. He is a drug addict. He was in revision, but he left my place tonight. He saw something tragic yesterday and i am afraid he is using again. Can you tell your collegues to look out for him?" "Sure, Bishop. Please discribe him." "Tall thin. Blonde ashy hair. Longer than a traditional mens haircut. He had taken a blue blanket and a red sleepingbag from mine, but thats okay. I offered the stuff to him before, when he was homeless. I just want to know where he is and help him get sober and know he is safe." "Yes. I understand. We will keep an eye out and i will call you if i know anything. Can you send me a picture?" "Yes. Definatly. But it is quite an old one, i don't have any new ones." "Anything helps. I hope we find him, Bishop. I will do my best." "Thank you so much, Reis. I am so thankfull." 

The hearing was hard, but Carina was Mayas Rock. She was advocating for her, making her take breaks, helping her calm down. Nonetherless it was terrible and after 3 hours of guresome terror Lane was sentanced to 40 years in prison and 60 years on probation for child endangermand, child abuse, Abuse, Violence, Black mail, Sexual abuse harassment and murder. He plead not guilty but he had no case. Mayas laywer was good and with the statements from Dr. Bailey, Carina and Andy and the proofs she had, Lane was done for. 

Unfortionatly Mason was like he was vanished from earths ground. Maya spent hours looking for him and coresbonding with Reis, but nothing.