Chapter 4

TW: throwing up, violent language, violence

The next morning Carina felt very sick. She had a headache a sore throat and her entire body was achy. "Ahh." She groaned, as her alarm woke her. "Whats wrong, baby?" Mayas voice sounded equally as raspy and when she turned she broke into a chesty cough. "Oh no, Bambina i got you sick." "Its fine. I'm okay. How about you?" "I feel awefull. I'm gonna call in sick." "Okay." Maya didn't know how to react. She didn't get to call in sick as a kid and she didn't allow it herself now either. "Do you need anything? I can bring you food or something to drink?" "No. Bella you are sick, too. Lets rest together." "I'm fine. I'm going on a run." Maya said and coughed loudly. Carina frowned at her pale girlfriend. "Bella. I think you should stay in bed with me. If you feel remotly like i do, you don't actully want to run." "I do. I always run." Maya swung her feet out of the bed and got dressed. Carina sighed. There was no discussing this with Maya. "Stay save and maybe only do a small run." Carina said, she felt to awefull to discuss this with Maya. "I will. Sleep." Maya kissed Carinas forehead.

The run was terrible. Mayas body hurt and she felt nauseous and dizzy. She had to stopp twice to throw up and had to walk back, because she had to cough so bad everytime she tryed to run again. When she came back to their Apartment she was beyond exhausted. She practicaly fell through the door hitting the ground hard but not having the energy to get up. She just stayed there on the cold floor struggling to breathe.

Carina was sleeping. She was dreaming about Maya and their nice times together, but everytime Maya smiled her father came as slapped her and Carina couldn't stop him. Carina woke up. She coughed and groaned as it hurt her throat. She got up to get something to drink. But when she stepped out of their bedroom she jumped. Maya was laying on the floor motionless, her running sneakers still on. "Maya." Carina rasped out. Maya didn't move. Carina moved her to the side. There was a pile of vomit next to her face. She checked if there was still something in her mouth blocking her airways but there wasn't and Maya was breathing. "Can you hear me?" Maya groaned. "Squeeze my hand if you can hear me." Maya did. Slightly but she did. "Okay. Good. Lets get you cleaned up and into bed." "Sorry." Maya gasped. She was weezing. "Don't speak. Come on. Lets get up."

"You need a shower." "I don't feel good." "Yeah i know. But you are full of vomit and it doesn't smell good. Lets get you showered." Maya sat down on the toilet. Carina helped her out of her clothes and then took off her own clothes. She quickly picked up the plastic stool from the kitchen and placed it in the shower. Maya sat on it and rested against the backwall."i'm cold." She said. Carina felt her forehead. "You are burning up." Carina got the fever Thermometer and held it infront of Mayas face. "102.3 Thats not good." Carina felt so bad for Maya. She knew this was how Maya was raised and this was normal for Maya and that her father probably hurt her for being sick, but it shocked her nonethertheless. "Maya. Did your father make you run even if you were sick?" Carina asked. "Mhm." Maya said. "If i complained, he'd even make me run more. Sometimes he hit me if i fell or more like kicked me, to get back up." "That is not okay. Absolutly not okay. You need rest, when you are sick and medicine and people, who care about you." Maya sighed. She felt bad for doing this to Carina. She just didn't know what else to do. What was the point where you don't run? When are you supposed to rest? How much rest is okay, for which sickness? She looked down at her feet. "I can shower alone. I don't deserve you caring for me." "No. I love you. I will try to give you all the love you didn't get as a kid, when you were sick." "But i did a stupid thing." "Still. I love you. I can hate your desicions but i can never hate you." "I love you, too. Thank you."

They got dried of and into clean clothes. Carina got some medicine for them both as she had a slightly high temperature aswell. And some water and crackers. They layed back down in bed and cuddled into eachother. "Sleep." Carina said. Maya nodded and closed her eyes.

But she couldn't sleep. Her body was beyond exhausted, but her mind was running at 100 an hour. Was her father that bad?  But he made her win the medal? He was abusive, she knew that, but he was all bad, was he? All the things she knew were things her dad taught her. That way she had reached the medal. Youngest fire captian and 19s first female captain. He couldn't have been all bad. Surely more coaches worked like that? Maya remebered, when she had, what ended up being Tonsillitis. She had had a terrible sore throat and could barely swallow. She was about 10 or 11. Just at the beginning of her extensive training. She had told her dad, she didn't feel well and that she would rather not run today, he had laughed at her "these are the words of loosers. Are you a looser?" Maya had shook her head. She had won all her races. "Good. So put your shoes on." "But Dad. I can not swallow and i am really tired. I don't want to run." He had grabbed her hand and pulled her outside. She didn't have shoes and he had made her run all the way to the track and then a few rounds, more than she usually did, until she collapsed. All barefoot in the snow. He had kicked her, but she was unable to get up. So he had left her. A stranger had found her and called an Aid Car.

Maya was crying. She felt so terrible, why hadn't she seen what a terrible person her father was.