Chapter 16: Poison

"Where's Becky?" I asked the head maid as soon as I entered the dining area.

"She hasn't left her room yet, F. Did she sleep in?" she replied, and I nodded.

Maybe she was just tired from yesterday. After all, what happened to her was like a nightmare.

My hands clenched as I remembered the terrible things they did to her. I called for Tre, and he came over, lowering his head.

"Did you do what I asked?" I inquired.

Tre nodded, "I scattered the pieces in every river near the village where he grew up."

"Good," I said, turning my attention back to my food. "Also, get ready for the operation in three days. We'll make sure they pay for what they've done."

I wouldn't allow anyone to harm Becky like that. Nobody should even think of it, unless they want their own family members to suffer the same fate, their limbs scattered across different areas.

It was already past 10 in the morning, and Becky was still in her room. She didn't usually spend that much time inside, nor did she oversleep. So, I decided to go to her room and turned the doorknob, but it was locked. I called the head maid and asked her for the key. When I opened the door, I found Becky lying on the floor, her skin turning violet, and her window wide open.

Without wasting a moment, I picked her up and rushed to the manor's clinic where Otto was stationed. He immediately checked Becky's heart rate and instructed his nurses to take her to the emergency area.

My heart pounded with worry as they took Becky away from me. Tre and Cinque arrived after hearing the news about Becky. They asked me what happened, but I felt a surge of anger and slapped them both.

"You two are fools! How could you let someone enter Becky's room?" I yelled at them. "If anything happens to Becky, I'll hold you both responsible!"

Hours passed before Otto called me into his clinic. He showed me a graph that I couldn't quite understand.

"Could you just tell me what happened? I don't understand any of this," I retorted, tossing the graph back at him.

"F, Becky was poisoned. The poison had been in her body for three hours. Luckily, it wasn't a strong poison, but if it had stayed for one more hour, she would've died," Otto explained.

I let out a sigh, looking at him with clenched teeth. Who would do such a thing within my own manor? Especially to Becky, knowing how precious she was to me.

"If I find out who did this, they will pay with their life. Use that same poison to kill them," I declared, standing up and storming out of the room, heading towards Becky's ward.

I found her lying on a hospital bed, her body pale and the signs of her suffering evident. Why didn't she call for help?

"You know, being a strong, independent woman can't protect you all the time, babe," I said, reaching for her hand and kissing it gently.

I spent every hour by Becky's side, checking on her. I was afraid that if I looked away, someone might attack her, especially when she was in such a vulnerable state. I stayed even through the night, watching over her. Finally, after three days, she began to feel better.

"Otto, can you watch over Becky for a while? I need to meet Tre outside," I asked, and he nodded.

Apart from Otto and me, no one entered Becky's ward. That's how vigilant I was when it came to her. Tre, who had pledged his undying loyalty to me, was also one of my prime suspects.

"What is it?" I asked, annoyance seeping into my voice.

"The operation you halted yesterday turned out to be lucky for us," Tre reported.

"How so?" I inquired.

"Someone reported that there were traps inside their headquarters. If we had gone there today, most of us would surely have died," he explained, his tone bright.

"So you're saying that Becky being poisoned brought luck to us? Because of her, I canceled the operation. Is that what you mean, Tre?" I asked, patting his shoulder. "I'll find the person responsible for harming her, even if it turns out to be you," I whispered, then I made my way back to Becky's ward.

As I entered the room, I saw Becky trying to sit up, with Otto assisting her.

"Are you okay?" I asked Becky.

She looked at me and slowly nodded. A slight smile formed on her lips, and she motioned for me to come closer. I approached her and embraced her tightly.

"Damn, I thought I lost you," I whispered.

Becky chuckled and caressed my cheeks.

"I told you I can handle everything," she boasted.

"But not this. If I had been late, you would've died," I scolded her, glaring into her eyes.

Becky tugged at my shirt, urging me to lean in closer. Then she planted a delicate kiss on my lips. After we pulled away, she grinned and playfully pinched my nose.

"What happened while I was asleep?" she asked.

"I was supposed to attack Mr. Harrison's quarters, but I canceled it because you were here. I couldn't let Tre go there without me. The Harrisons are a powerful group. Luckily, they weren't there. Someone informed us that there were traps in their quarters, and they were hiding somewhere else," I explained.

Becky nodded and let out a sigh of relief. She looked at me as if she was pleased to hear that, as if she had anticipated it.

"You were poisoned. Any idea who might have done this?" I asked.

"I did it myself. I take Digoxin to treat arrhythmias, and I accidentally overdosed," she explained.

I glared at her, sensing that she was hiding something. She was a smart girl, so how could she overdose on something like that? And arrhythmias? As far as I knew, it was an irregular heartbeat. Did she have a heart problem?

"Otto, could you perform some tests on Becky to check if she has any underlying condition? I'm worried it might lead to heart failure," I requested, and he nodded.

"You don't have to, Otto. I know I don't have any problems. And you don't need to worry about me, Freen. This won't happen again," she reassured me, offering a smile.

But now, I couldn't help but wonder if I could still trust that smile.