Chapter 17: Suspicion

Days had passed, and finally, Becky was allowed to leave her ward. I asked the head maid to look after her while I was away because I had to go somewhere with Tre. Cinque wanted to join us, but I knew it would only make Becky overthink things, so I told her to stay at the manor and take care of the work I was leaving behind.

Tre and I headed to the town where Becky's family had sold her. My goal was to find her supposed mother-in-law. I asked the neighborhood if they knew Becky and her fiancé, and to my surprise, they answered yes. They also mentioned how beautiful Becky was, but they were unaware that she turned out to be a monster.

"A monster?" I asked, puzzled.

"Didn't you know? Becky killed her own husband," said the first lady.

"Her husband was a womanizer, but he never physically hurt Becky. However, Becky had had enough and tortured him while her mother-in-law was away. She even locked him up in their basement. When her mother-in-law returned, she pretended to be a good girl," explained the second lady.

I turned to Tre, and he furrowed his brow. "But the last time we were here, they said that Becky was the one being abused by her husband," he said.

"They were both hurting each other, that's all! If you want to know more, you can go to their house," said the first lady before they left.

Tre and I made our way to the house they had pointed out, where we encountered an old woman in her 60s. I wasn't sure if she was the mother-in-law since I had asked Cinque to cut her tongue. Maybe I should be grateful that she hadn't done it; otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to gather more details.

"You're here for Becky Armstrong?" the woman asked, and we nodded. "That girl is a monster, you know? She used to be a sweet kid when her father sold her off. My son was fond of her, but as his lover, she was expected to satisfy his needs, which she didn't."

"Becky didn't let your son touch her, is that it?" I asked.

"Yes. At first, I understood because they weren't married. But one day, I found Becky in the basement of our house. She had these pictures of a girl, and I didn't recognize her. The girl had long brown hair, and I couldn't remember her face. Becky was talking to the pictures like a psychopath. So we went to the basement and found that the pictures were gone, but the wall had messages like 'I'm waiting for you' and 'When are you going to save me?' It seemed like she was waiting for her mom, who was a fugitive," she explained.

"Then what did you do to her?" Tre asked, noticing that my hands were trembling.

"My son became furious and hit her out of rage. Then Becky hit him back. That's when I realized Becky was incredibly strong. When I couldn't do anything to stop her from hurting my son, I grabbed a bat and hit her," she explained further.

I didn't believe her.

"I can show you the video if you want to see the details," she offered and fetched something from inside.

Tre reached for my hand and gently massaged it. I couldn't process all the information I had learned that day. Who was telling the truth, and who was lying?

The woman returned with a gadget and showed us the video. Since it was taken from the surveillance camera, we could only see Becky's back, but I was certain it was her.

Why did she do this? Why did she lie?

"Are you all alone now?" I asked the woman, and she nodded.

"Can I step outside for a smoke first?" I excused myself and went outdoors.

I immediately called Becky and waited for her to answer.

"Yes, babe? Where are you now?" she asked.

"How dare you lie to my face?" I confronted her.

"What do you mean, I lied? Where?" she asked, sounding confused.

"I'm trying to be patient here, Becky. Wait for me there, and we'll talk about this. If you ever lie to me again, you will never set foot in my manor," I warned her before ending the call. Then I returned inside the house, thanked the woman, and motioned for Tre to go back to the car.

"Do you believe what she said?" Tre asked. He sat in the driver's seat, and I sat in the back, staring out the window.

"I don't want to, but the evidence seems strong. I don't want to be biased. I want the truth," I replied.

As I furrowed my brow, I noticed a girl who had the same build as Becky. She even had the same hair. I motioned for Tre to stop the car, and we watched as the girl entered the house, making me clench my fist.

"Go back to that house, Tre. We have someone to burn alive," I said with finality.

A/N: I had so much fun last night and it was the best night for me. To those who didn't get the chance to see them last night, your time would come. Let's save up because we'll never know if they would come back again in 2024.

PS. Because of what happened last night, I didn't know if I should make Freen's character a red flag here. To be honest, she's a cutie, a soft-hearted and jolly person. T.T Anyways, I hope I could still imagine her as a badass and savage girl after last night. T.T